Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Intel Ethernet Connection Driver for Windows 98SE

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,802 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Good news :), though I hate it when this kind of things happen (without apparent reason/by sheer magic).

jaclaz

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

buyerninety

buyerninety

Dude,¯\_{ö}_/¯ where's my avatar?

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 18-August 10

You mentioned;

"REM 29/11/2014
SHELL=C:\WIN-98\COMMAND.COM /E:768 /P
REM ** REM OUT THE PREVIOUS LINE WHEN USING AUTO-PATCHER **
DEVICE=C:\WIN-98\SIZER.EXE /15834 /11 C:\WIN-98\COMMAND\ANSI.SYS
COUNTRY=044,850,C:\WIN-98\COMMAND\COUNTRY.SYS
DOS=HIGH
REM DEVICE=C:\PROGRAMF\OLDPROGR\CREATIVE\CDROM\DRV\SBIDE.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:170,15
REM ** REINSTATE THE PREVIOUS LINE IF CD SUPPORT IS NEEDED IN DOS OR SAFE MODE **
"

"I tried a step by step boot, and it's fine until it gets to DEVICE=C:\WIN-98\SIZER.EXE /15834 /11 C:\WIN-98\COMMAND\ANSI.SYS at which point it stops and goes no further.

Trying again and skipping that line it's then OK until it tries to load DBLBUFF.SYS with SIZER.EXE (which isn't actually in the CONFIG.SYS file, which i think is normal) and it hangs again.

Skipping that it gets to loading AUTOEXEC.BAT and then hangs again. "

I did wonder if this information on MDGX's webpage was having an affect;

http://www.mdgx.com/msdos.htm

"Hidden features, oddities + BUGs I discovered:"

"Windows 9x/ME automatically loads the interface (GUI) ONLY IF a "SHELL=" line is NOT present in CONFIG.SYS"

Despite the above, I'd agree hangs are usully caused by conflicts (during

{boot} setup) when assigning memory ranges an such... - so the different

installation process you eventually used allowed the BIOS or OS to assign

the resources, such that no fatal conflicts occured.

Guess you should make a note from Device Manager, Network Adapter,

Properties, Resources, of the (working) Memory Range, I/O Range... 

there's no conflicts shown there, right?

Edited by buyerninety, Yesterday, 06:50 AM.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 888 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Thanks buyerninety. I just replied to your PM, then found you'd deleted it!

:lol:

As I see you've seen, the problem has gone away anyway as I finally got the driver to work in Windows!

I had been working on the DOS memory issue by PM with dencorso, and I think we'd got to the point where we were about to decide that there was just no way to free enough base memory to allow the MS DOS Networking components and the Arachne DOS browser to run at the same time.

Apparently most modern motherboards have this problem, because they're just not designed for DOS working of course.

Cheers, Dave.

:)

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 888 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Good news :), though I hate it when this kind of things happen (without apparent reason/by sheer magic).
jaclaz

Yes, it is very annoying, especially as the thread potentially won't be as much help to others as it might have been if we don't know exactly what the fix was!

I'll be interested to hear what Sfor thinks.

It may well be that I misunderstood his instructions and just didn't do things in exactly the right order or something.

Looking at my present PROTOCOL.INI file, the difference is here -

[data]
version=v4.10.2222
netcards=E1000$,*PNP8fff

Everything else is the same, but that *PNP8fff which wasn't there before is the magic extra.

A file has been added to my INF\OTHER folder too, whose contents look like an INF file, but is called ~OEM0B01.WIN.

That's not something I'd ever seen before either!

And yes den, I'm looking forward to taking the separate Ethernet card out later today, it will eventually be replaced with an eSATA card!

Edited by Dave-H, Yesterday, 07:14 AM.

Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,802 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Good :), at least we know that the missing item was the comma and the name of the device, which in Sfor's case is a "plain" name:

[data]
version=v4.10.2222
netcards=ATL2$,ATHEROSL2

and in your case is a PNP ID:

[data]
version=v4.10.2222
netcards=E1000$,*PNP8fff

jaclaz

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,085 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Would there perchance be a PNP8fff in the registry, under /ENUM, at HKLM/, Dave?

If so, what does it contain?

I also have a feeling the installation of the MS Network Client 3.0 for DOS has something to do with it suddenly staring to work...

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,802 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

In the meantime, here is why the name E1000$ and how to configure further settings:

http://web.mit.edu/c...NIC/dos_odi.htm

though nothing about the "comma+PNPID" or "comma+Name"

I guess that something here:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com./Services/whql/Tools/NSTL/000316/HCT/docs/

might be of use, but really cannot say if my guess can be accurate and/or if anything in it will be useful for what. :unsure:

The RK98BOOK.CHM also contains possibly some related info:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/HELP/

but still nothing about that "comma" and added parameter.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, Yesterday, 11:47 AM.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 888 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Would there perchance be a PNP8fff in the registry, under /ENUM, at HKLM/, Dave?

If so, what does it contain?

I also have a feeling the installation of the MS Network Client 3.0 for DOS has something to do with it suddenly staring to work...

There is one entry in the registry here -

Attached File  PNP8fff.jpg   94.01KB   0 downloads

I doubt if installing the MS DOS Network Client would have had any effect, as I completely removed it and deleted all its folders and startup file entries before trying again with the Windows setup.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 888 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

In the meantime, here is why the name E1000$ and how to configure further settings:

http://web.mit.edu/c...NIC/dos_odi.htm

though nothing about the "comma+PNPID" or "comma+Name"

Thanks, I looked at that document a while ago, and it was very useful to see detail about the PROTOCOL.INI options.

The only one I ended up using was specifying the slot.

I am assuming that when and if I enable the second onboard adapter, this will not be affected, in fact it seems to be seeing both of them anyway despite the fact that one of them is disabled with a hardware jumper at the moment!

I guess that something here:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com./Services/whql/Tools/NSTL/000316/HCT/docs/

might be of use, but really cannot say if my guess can be accurate and/or if anything in it will be useful for what. :unsure:

Goodness, I'll have a look at all that when I've got time!

:yes:

The RK98BOOK.CHM also contains possibly some related info:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/HELP/

but still nothing about that "comma" and added parameter.

jaclaz

Ah, the old Windows 98 Resource Kit!

I've got a copy, but haven't had to look at it for ages.

I didn't think to look and see if there's anything about Windows networking with a DOS adapter driver, but I'm glad to say that it doesn't matter now anyway!

Edited by Dave-H, Yesterday, 06:24 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,802 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Well, that Registry entry seems to me (common sense only, not specific knowledge) more like a "two way link".

The entry is simmetrical to the entry in protocol.ini, meaning (maybe) that the same device Root/Net/0002 has two compatible ID's, and the entry in protocol.ini may mean that the same netcard can be called indifferently E1000$ or *PNP8fff.

Possibly you could try adding (of course only if you are after experimenting, and knowing that there is a risk to need to reinstall/restart) to add to both entries a comma and "MyNic", nothing should change.

Then try removing from both the *PNP8fff.

And finally try removing again the "MyNic" and see if only the "pair" of E1000$ is actually *needed*.

jaclaz

Sfor

Sfor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Joined 01-July 07

To make such an experiment, it is enough to make a backup copy of the protocol.ini file.

For an example. I did install two ndis network adapters with different driver files. Then I did different bindigs in the Network Properties dialog. One network adapter is binded just to the TCP/IP the other got also NetBeui and Microsoft Networking. Then I did two versions of the protocol.ini files by removing all the bindings of one of the adapters in both copies. Of course both copies have different bindings missing.

Then I made two batch files to replace the protocol.ini file with one or the other copy. The batch files are renaming the network adapter DOS driver filenames, so just one is available at a time, as well.

Now I can switch the Windows to work with one adapter or the other, by running a batch file, without entering the Network Properties dialog. So it is enough to run a batch, then reboot. Or to call a batch in clean DOS, then net start, then run windows GUI.

What's more, both network adapter drivers are working with the same hardware. I had to hex edit the driver file and modify inf to do that. So, my Windows 98 has an ability to switch between two different network setup profiles, now.

Edited by Sfor, Today, 03:15 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,802 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

To make such an experiment, it is enough to make a backup copy of the protocol.ini file.

... and of the involved Registry key.

jaclaz

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 888 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

I have ordered another (eSATA) PCI card to replace my now redundant plugin Ethernet card, but it won't arrive until the first week of January, and I don't really want to open up the machine and start experimenting again until I can do all that in one go.

I hope that enabling the second on-board Ethernet adapter won't cause any problems, as I'd quite like to use that for a direct connection to my netbook for transferring files.

As I said, the second adapter is disabled at the moment by a hardware jumper on the motherboard, so I am a bit surprised that the DOS driver is apparently seeing it at all!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

loblo