bigmuscle

I'm trying to finish this small thing - GUI to modify parameters of Aero Glass. Since the last time, I've tweaked it a bit. You can set system-wide settings when running as admin.

gui.png

http://glass8.eu/

Post your ideas, bugs to this topic.

Changelog:

-- 15.12.2014 20:50 --

Fixed the Revert button

Edited by bigmuscle
Added changelog

Nice UI mate, looks like you have everything covered, you might want to consider hard coding the UI a bit though instead of letting the current theme govern the looks, I noticed with my theme it was a bit messed up, totally up to you though, I wouldn't expect you to make changes to support 3rd party themes, it's just a suggestion, great work though mate, much nicer then the one I made.

rlbd5d.jpg

Thanks for the Update BM, I will go check it out..

~DP

I'm trying to finish this small thing - GUI to modify parameters of Aero Glass. Since the last time, I've tweaked it a bit. You can set system-wide settings when running as admin.

gui.png

http://glass8.eu/out/AeroGlassGUI.7z

Changelog:

Fixed the Revert button

gui.png

http://glass8.eu/out/AeroGlassGUI.7z

Changelog:

Fixed the Revert button

Works fine here.

- Liang

It works now, but i have 1 issue and 1 suggestion in my mind:

1- Remove/combine system-wide settings (because it is confusing):

It didn't modify any thing i think, I mean combining the Registry areas (current user + local machine), so the user won't be confused about what is valid throught current user OR local machine

1- Ability to enable/disable the Aero glass

Altering the System-Wide settings, when I click the [ Save ] button, it reverts to the "Automatically compute from desktop background" setting and loses the color I chose.

Edit:  Never mind, I think I see the issue - there are settings in both the HKCU and HKLM trees, and the HKCU settings override the system-wide settings.

Perhaps a better way to organize it would be to have the program only create ONE set of parameters, and provide the user a selector that allows him to choose whether to make the settings system-wide or user-specific.  Just a thought.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

well but creating only one config has the problem that when a sys-config exists but another user wanna have his own settings, that he cant change the sysconf.

rather there should be an information about that the active user already has something set in there

Edit:  Never mind, I think I see the issue - there are settings in both the HKCU and HKLM trees, and the HKCU settings override the system-wide settings.

Yes, it works this way. If user modifies his local settings then he won't see global settings. It seems logical to me.

well but creating only one config has the problem that when a sys-config exists but another user wanna have his own settings, that he cant change the sysconf.

So what would be the reason for maintaining two sets of settings, one system-wide and the others one for each of some (but not all) users?

Seems to me the greatest flexibility is had by ONLY having settings per-user (with no system-level defaults).  A single user, who creates accounts occasionally might want the settings ONLY for the entire system.  I just don't see a combo of the above being practical.

-Noel

Sorry Noel, I don't see why you're having a problem with this.

The way I see it, there are 3 different levels for OS/app settings.

1)  The defaults defined by the OS/app developer.

2)  The settings imposed system wide, usually implied as a corporate environment but that could also be family wide in a home setting.

3)  The settings for an individual user.

In each level, more customization and restrictions can be imposed.  In a home setting where they might share a computer, mom and dad, or a teenage boy, might not want the "My Little Pony" theme that the 6 year old girl likes.  Yes, I know the point wasn't talking about themes, but my point is more about consistency.  The OS environment should behave consistently.  Aero Glass settings should be no different than other UI settings in the way they operate in that regard.  There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with having system wide settings that can be further refined by an individual user.  At least that is my opinion.

Cheers and Regards