Catalyst 14.12 ("Omega") on Vista

smeezekitty

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to set up a Vista breadboard machine but I realized I have a CDROM drive but not a spare DVD-ROM drive

I have heard it is possible to install Windows via USB but I have no experience with that

So I got around to setting up a test bench system with an Athlon 64 X2 2 GHz, 1 GB of RAM (Vista x64 is painful on 1 GB!)

and my old Radeon 6670

bench_system.jpg

I don't know what to tell you:

vista64_amd.jpg

From my limited testing, I didn't experience any other issues compared to my 32-bit intel system.

It is completely possible that this issue is unique to newer AMD chipsets.

But without your hardware, there are limits on what I can do.

What is your motherboard?

Mainboard ASUS M4A78LT-M with Phenom II X4 3,2Ghz

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A78LTM/specifications/

there is an onboard VGA chip (Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 GPU)

i can not disable the onboard VGA via BIOS

i found a spare disk and perhaps i setup a fresh vista next weekend

and only install AMD Catalyst Omega

if this works without errors i can install step-by-step the drivers for my MOBO

VIA Sound and Realtek LAN will be no problem

Edited by megaugly

Mainboard ASUS M4A78LT-M with Phenom II X4 3,2Ghz

https://www.asus.com...specifications/

there is an onboard VGA chip (Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 GPU)

i can not disable the onboard VGA via BIOS

My board also has an onboard HD3000 series.

i found a spare disk and perhaps i setup a fresh vista next weekend

and only install AMD Catalyst Omega

if this works without errors i can install step-by-step the drivers for my MOBO

VIA Sound and Realtek LAN will be no problem

Good idea. Keep in mind if you install Omega without installing and older driver first, it won't install extras really.

For example no HDMI audio driver. For me that isn't a problem but I just wanted to note it.

post-401031-0-88241400-1420910205_thumb.

(german language)

working with a fresh OS

only CCC Omega and your patch

there must be some other AMD software on my current system what is not compatible with the Omega 14.12

Thank you for your help

regards

Edited by megaugly

• 1 month later...

Thanks, man! This also helped with the AMD APP SDK 3.0 beta, too, for OpenCL 2.0 support on Vista x86 (otherwise you're stuck on 2.8 and 1.2). This is necessary for, say, OpenCL support in BOINC, which doesn't seem to want to work with the files the drivers install.

There are however some things you have to do to get this working:

Get the APP SDK installer, use the download option and wait for the first file to download
( AMD-SDKInstaller-v1.3.158-Beta-windows-F-x86.exe )
You can abort after the x64 version starts if you don't care about that.

Start the installer. It may fail instantly with "Failed to create the control linkAMDPrivacyPolicy on the dialog InstallWelcome." LEAVE THIS DIALOG OPEN.

Open your %temp% folder (start/run/%temp%), sort by date, open the most recently-created directory, and find the msi file "AMD SDK Installer 1.3.msi"

Click the directory name to select it, copy it, then paste it after 'cd' into a new command window, e.g.
cd C:\Users\GREENR~1\AppData\Local\Temp\{B0257F5E-F621-4FFE-A6FD-B7CDF257E45A}

Do that, and then run:
msiexec /qb /i "AMD SDK Installer 1.3.msi"

It will run with basic UI and install the whole SDK. You can now close the install dialog on the intiial install, which will delete the setup file. Check it's working (clinfo should not crash and should give the GPU, BOINC should not say GPU removed). If you have issues, check that the AMD APP SDK bin folder has made it into the path. You might need to logoff to reset it.

Don't want to use up all the space with the samples? Either run the downloaded .exe again (which will now work because it doesn't ask you for the license) or go to Programs and Features, find the AMD SDK Installer 1.3 and uninstall the Media SDK and all the subfeatures of the Advanced Parallel Processing SDK, but leave the APP SDK itself installed. Should free up a chunk of space, though the binaries and lib files are still 130MB (try compressing the AMD APP SDK folder).

If clinfo shows that your platform is 2.0 but your GPU device is 1.2, you probably don't have an OpenCL 2.0 supported device (Wikipedia). Oh well.

Edited by GreenReaper

• 1 month later...

Hello, I have completed the first steps of the guide on http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2335392/manually-installing-latest-amd-catalyst-drivers-windows-vista.htmland now am at the "inf" file stage.

pPl8jO2.png

OultSJJ.png

This is how it looks. And now it tells me that it isn't compatible. I also only have just one inf file. There's this 64 and x86 in the .inf file. but I do not know how to change it properly.

I downloaded the "amd-catalyst-omega-14.12-with-dotnet45-win7-64bit" and my OS is Vista Home Premium 64 Bit , with Service Pack 2 , My graphics card is a HD 7850, and I want to update to the newest driver manually, given the Vista ones are old as hell.

What am I doing wrong? Should I uninstall my old driver first, which is Driver Package Version 13.251-131206a-165822C-ATI ? Or does that not matter?

ld7oFcG.png

Edited by Vistadude

Just tried the same method to install catalyst 15.4 (as well as copying the same 64-bit files) and CCC doesn't want to run. Getting this error:

post-400857-0-59150300-1429539554_thumb.

I suppose they changed some of the dlls =(