Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Do Modern BIOS's Output To The HDMI Port?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

-X-

-X-

• Patrons
  • 2,453 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

Do modern BIOS's output to the HDMI port? I'm guessing no but just want confirmation. My relative is setting up a new PC as a present and they weren't getting a monitor signal and they told me they were using an HDMI cable. I told them they needed a DVI cable from the vid card to the monitor but wondering if I'm wrong and technology has moved forward.

[ Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk Posted Image ]
If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 10,009 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

I guess it depends. The only one I have experience with is the Intel NUC... but then it only has an HDMI port and nothing else. :\
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

puntoMX

puntoMX

n00b of Masters and Vice Versa

• Super Moderator
  • 4,865 posts
  • Joined 28-June 04

On the systems I have and had it always showed the the same with HDMI as with VGA or DVI out.

-X-

-X-

• Patrons
  • 2,453 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

OK thanks. I was under the false impression then. I thought maybe Windows needed to be running with the appropriate drivers.

Wonder why they weren't getting any video then.  I've never messed with HDMI ports as I don't own a cable and my monitor doesn't have an HDMI input but just noticed that my vid card has an HDMI out.  I knew there was one on my mobo but never noticed the vid card one.

If I ever get a monitor with an HDMI input will I see better quality video using that port over DVI?

[ Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk Posted Image ]
If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,825 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

If I ever get a monitor with an HDMI input will I see better quality video using that port over DVI?

That is what they (the cable sellers) want you to believe  :yes: but no, it's just the same:

http://www.cnet.com/...tion-to-choose/

http://www.cnet.com/...s-are-the-same/

The debate (if any) is whether on the relatively "low", "common" resolutions, and provided that good equipment is involved, there is an actual difference between VGA and any of the digital formats:

http://www.msfn.org/...er-connections/

(and no :no:, there is nothing that you will be able to notice on a working setup).

jaclaz 

-X-

-X-

• Patrons
  • 2,453 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

Ah cool. Thanks.

I never new that HDMI carried audio also. Is that what this other audio device is in my device manager? I always wondered why I needed to load a driver for this "phantom" device. See pic..

Attached File  Device Manager.png   29.74KB   0 downloads

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 1 anonymous users

-X-