Do Modern BIOS's Output To The HDMI Port?

Do modern BIOS's output to the HDMI port? I'm guessing no but just want confirmation. My relative is setting up a new PC as a present and they weren't getting a monitor signal and they told me they were using an HDMI cable. I told them they needed a DVI cable from the vid card to the monitor but wondering if I'm wrong and technology has moved forward.

OK thanks. I was under the false impression then. I thought maybe Windows needed to be running with the appropriate drivers.

Wonder why they weren't getting any video then.  I've never messed with HDMI ports as I don't own a cable and my monitor doesn't have an HDMI input but just noticed that my vid card has an HDMI out.  I knew there was one on my mobo but never noticed the vid card one.

If I ever get a monitor with an HDMI input will I see better quality video using that port over DVI?

If I ever get a monitor with an HDMI input will I see better quality video using that port over DVI?

That is what they (the cable sellers) want you to believe  :yes: but no, it's just the same:

http://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-vs-displayport-vs-dvi-vs-vga-which-connection-to-choose/

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same/

The debate (if any) is whether on the relatively "low", "common" resolutions, and provided that good equipment is involved, there is an actual difference between VGA and any of the digital formats:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/162901-computer-connections/

(and no :no:, there is nothing that you will be able to notice on a working setup).

jaclaz 

Ah cool. Thanks.

I never new that HDMI carried audio also. Is that what this other audio device is in my device manager? I always wondered why I needed to load a driver for this "phantom" device. See pic..

post-12166-0-31923400-1419241398_thumb.p

Ah cool. Thanks.

I never new that HDMI carried audio also. Is that what this other audio device is in my device manager?

Yep. :yes:

You can "conventionally" think at DVI as "replacement for VGA" and at HDMI "replacement for DVI  with a particular accent for multimedia" (less clutter because a same cable carries both video and audio).

jaclaz

I had a computer (in fact, still have) where I could not get the signal from the UEFI on the monitor on the integrated card, neither with HDMI, nor through DVI (adapter). Discrete card worked. I suspect it was the monitor that didn't accept that particular signal.