Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

New laptop w2000 compatible

- - - - - laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Cixert

Cixert
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 23-December 14

Hello, I want to buy a new laptop.
What laptop recommending me with compatible drivers Windows 2000 / XP?

-Reliable (long life)
-average price (up to $ 800 +/-)
-17" +/-
- S-Video port
FDD?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,876 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
Svideo?

Not very likely anymore on a new one

pointertovoid

pointertovoid

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Joined 16-January 09

¡Hola Cixert!

New (I understand: recently designed) computers have no official drivers for W2k, since several years ago.

- To access the disks, you might set the host (the chipset, the southbridge...) in P-ata emulation mode, but then you lose the Ahci enhancements (essentially the reordered reads and writes) which make a big speed difference.

- Or you must have a driver for the disk host thathas been ported to W2k, notably by BlackWingCat. You have to chack what hosts hav a driver, and you must provide the driver when W2k is installed.

- A diskette you make for the F6 process brings the driver, but most new computers have no diskette reader. Alternately, you integrate the driver in the installation Cd using nLite or HfSlip, both projects hosted here on Msfn.

Then, most new chipsets or Cpu have an integrated graphics processor for which no W2k driver exists. In a desktop, you can choose a Gpu that has a driver ported for W2k (again by BlackWingCat), but on a laptop things get seriously more complicated.

The rest is less worrying. Intel provides Inf files to configure much of the chipset, and even recent Inf are officially for W2k. You may have no Usb3, no Bluetooth, such things.

All in one, recent hardware and W2k need a very careful and long choice, long trials at installation. You have real chances with a desktop, but bad chances with a laptop. If I really really needed a laptop, I'd either have a recent OS on it, or look for older hardware.

2k is to my opinion by far the best Win ever, but you should keep in mind that the antivirus programs running on it are disappearing. Even if you keep older versions of the programs, you won't get the virus definitions update any more, in a few years. Also, recent versions of Internet browsers have abandoned W2k, and older ones may fail to display some websites. So W2k will quickly become an option for offline computers only, unless

- You run it without an antivirus. Very possible if knowledgeable people run the machine.

- Your W2k is upgraded with some form KernelEx that enables recent software.

Cixert

Cixert
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 23-December 14

No one is working with a laptop with windows 2000 boot?
Can you comment what your modern machine configured?

Edited by Cixert, Yesterday, 07:28 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,844 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

... but you should keep in mind that the antivirus programs running on it are disappearing. Even if you keep older versions of the programs, you won't get the virus definitions update any more, in a few years. 

Possibly a line needs to be drawn between "antivirus" and "antivirus with a a real time scanner", just for the record:

http://www.clamwin.com/

of course one needs to know what he/she is doing if no real-time antivirus is running.

jaclaz 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users