XP SP3 Install - Clueless About Updates

Elliot77

Create another folder, named ARAGUARY on the root of the boot drive, move WUA-Downlevel.exe there, verify it's not set to read-only, open another dos box, navigate to ARAGUARY and try again. Let's see what happens. BTW, close all IE8 windows before running WUA-Downlevel.

Create another folder, named ARAGUARY on the root of the boot drive, move WUA-Downlevel.exe there, verify it's not set to read-only, open another dos box, navigate to ARAGUARY and try again. Let's see what happens. BTW, close all IE8 windows before running WUA-Downlevel.

Carefully noted and followed. I received the same "Extraction Failed" message. I'm slightly unclear on this: in DOS, should I simply navigate to the folder (ARAGUARY) and enter the command? or should I be navigating to WUA-Downlevel.exe within DOS, and then doing the command?

You should navigate to the ARAGUARY folder, and thence run WUA-Downlevel, as described...

BTW WUA-Downlevel.exe should be 6,781,144 bytes and have a valid MS Digital Signature created on Thu, Mar 13, 2014 9:56:45 PM, or else it wasn't extracted correctly. Just to be sure.

---

Oops! I'll have to go away for some time, now. Sorry!

However, I'm sure submix8c and/or -X- should be here soon, and either shall be glad to help you finish this troubleshooting, and if by any reason that doesn't happen, we can resume as soon as I get back, OK?

thank you for your help

You're welcome! I'm back! Sorry for the long time away! Post when you're reasy to resume, OK?

BTW WUA-Downlevel.exe should be 6,781,144 bytes and have a valid MS Digital Signature created on Thu, Mar 13, 2014 9:56:45 PM, or else it wasn't extracted correctly. Just to be sure.

Does the above info check for you? If so, and if you receive the same error again, please do post a screenshot of the error message (preferable) or a verbatim copy of it, in case it's just one line.

type set <enter> at the dos box and tell me whence the TEMP and TMP variables point, and whether those places can be full

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but I'm not sure how to execute what you've requested here; I'm lost on type set & whence variables point.

Yes, I'm logged in as Admin, & my system partition has ~10GB of free space.

??? Wonder what could be in that TEMP folder?

Usually nothing you need - BUT!

1 - In Safe Mode, Run 7-Zip, navigate to it (HILITE it), and click "Add" at the top, i.e. Create "TEMP.7z" file

(note - just in case there's something "important".

2 - Delete the CONTENTS of TEMP, not the whole folder.

2a - In Windows Explorer, navigate to it, select all files WITHIN it and DELETE them (you have a backup)

3 - In Control Panel, selet "Internet Options" (or just run Internet Explorer->Tools->Internet Options) and click on

3a - Delete Cookies

3b - Delete Files

4 - Just for fun, "Empty Recyle Bin"

Try again Windows Update.

I assume "<user name>" is your Profile/Signon name (PLEASE tell me you edited those lines for your post)? This shouldn't be relevant nor should such a small amount in your TEMP folder with 10gb available. The "Package" should create a Temporary FolderName (generated) on the largest available free-space partition. It almost sounds like a permissions problem, judging by the screenshot. :crazy:

edit - Googled on the Error Message - few references - one of which is a Trojan/Virus/Malware. You may want to get MalwareBytes downloaded and run it. Also SpyBot. It seems *very* odd that you can't install the WU file. Try going to the "Windows\System32" folder, right-click on CMD.EXE and "Run As... -> Administrator" to get a "DOS" Box to run the WU.... (VERY odd...)

Edited by submix8c

The folder was primarily files from a Bitdefender install. Cleared them out, made sure to run CMD as admin, and I'm still getting the same result. I've always had avast (tried BD recently), run regular boot-time scans, etc. and have no detected malware.

You could temporarily disable any anti-virus program you have on your system while you are trying to do the updates.  If nothing else it might go a little bit faster.  And they have been known to get in the way sometimes.

Cheers and Regards

After getting kind of caught up trying to get dencorso's post #13 rec to work, I neglected to go ahead and try his rec in post #14, which is working.

dencorso, as far as hiding the 2 updates you had me install (MS IE8 Cumulative Update (KB2936068), and the last official out-of-band update for IE8 (KB2964358)), they do not come up as options. Just thought I'd mention this.

Sorry again, I'm in the middle of a major power outage, here, after a rather epic tempest hit us... I'm OK, but I won't be available for some time, until the outage is fixed. However, the updates I suggested you to hide are KB905474 and KB2934207 (although the zero didn't get typed for some reason), not any of those you've already applied (those, BTW, wouldn't show anyway, because they're already applied and hiding is a mechanism to prevent application).

In any case, go to the Control Panel, Security Center, and turn off Automatic Updates, if you hadn't already done it. We want the site to work manually so that you can hide the two nagging updates before anything, when it starts working at last. The nagging updates are, of course, KB2934207 (the XP EoS nag) and KB905474 (the WGA Notifications nagger, unneeded, not to be confused with KB892130, the WGA Validation, which is fundamental for the functioning of the system and we just updated some posts above).