Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KernelEx 4.5.2015.8 updates

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

Every gimp plugin still crashes in msvcrt with the latest kexbasen.dll.

Is there something the end user can do with apihook?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06

Which msvcrt version exactly? Is it a regular one or a renamed msvcr70?

jumper

jumper

2015 All-American Masters HJ'er

• PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Joined 21-January 11
I tested gimp-2.8.14-setup.exe and was unable to reproduce the previously reported problems (most of the reported files do no exist). Please use ImportPatcher40 to check the problem gimp files with "Test by loading" disabled. Then compare that missing api list to ChangeLog.7 (or .8) and Ktree results in core.ini->kexbasen to find potential sources of the problem.

Checking "Use API Hook" in an app's KernelEx properties causes Kernelex.dll to look for a plug-in named ApiHook.dll. That plug-in and a debug console to go with it is almost ready. There is no performance penalty if "Use API Hook" is not checked or ApiHook.dll is not found, and will be almost none when api logging (filtered to console or raw to file) is disabled in the debug console (can be enabled/disabled on-the-fly!).

Edited by jumper, Yesterday, 10:48 AM.

Design feedback requested:
KernelEx 4.5.2015
IHAtool - IpHlpApi tester; call various functions and report results
--status-> framework is solid; 22 api's fully supported; preview release coming soon
Future projects: Kexter - IP40+Ktree+Kexstubs

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

I use a customized and upxed Gimp 2.8.10 with lots of extra plugins and theming engines and should have taken care to post crash logs for plugins that are also in the stock version, sorry about that. Thing is that many .exe (most) plugins crash in msvcrt with the new kexbasen.dll regardless of Gimp version (I installed stock 2.8.14 yesterday for testing) or msvcrt version/substitute.

Checking an executable plugin copied to the bin dir (so it has all its dependencies) with Import Patcher with "test by loading" disabled and "walk dependencies " enabled yields nothing that's newly implemented or modified.

When profiling Gimp with Dependency Walker, all I get when trying to execute a plugin is that there is an access violation in msvcrt at the same address reported in faultlog.txt.

Can you load a jpg file in Gimp 2.8.14 ? Can you apply a gaussian blur (under filters/blur/gaussian blur)?

Since Gimp plugins are exe files I would have thought that perhaps there was another bug in the new CreateProcess functions but those are in kexbases.dll.

Nonetheless I also tried to use original kexbases and all other updated and unexpectedly (after gccfixing all Gimp files) no plugin at all get enumerated during Gimp startup (which consists into briefly loading them). I also could not run Akelpad by double clicking on a text file under that configuration. I have Akelpad replacing notepad  so the mechanism in which the notepad.exe stub in windir invoking akelpad doesn't work. All this to say that it seems there is more to the new CreateProcess functions than what is in the new kexbases.dll since all this works fine with all original KernelEx files and that the problem may well lie around that.

Edited by loblo, Today, 08:05 AM.

MiKl

MiKl

• PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Joined 01-December 11

The new version 8 seem to have fixed the occasional crash I still had when trying to print from SeaMonkey 2.0.14. Thanks !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users