Metro / Modern Apps - Have you found ANYTHING useful?

NoelC

When I chose to move up to Windows 8.1 it was with the decision to completely disable UAC, as the things I do and the way I manage my system are generally at odds with UAC.

So I have eschewed all use of Metro/Modern Apps.

Since the Win 10 TP has been out, I've had another look at the Metro/Modern environment, as I have been gritting my teeth and leaving UAC enabled in my test virtual machine.  I even tried to be the user Microsoft wants us all to be and took a virtual stroll through the App Store a few times.

Trouble is, I couldn't find anything useful there.  As an example, I went looking to see if there might be a calculator that would do everything the old Win XP Calc.exe tool did.  Zzzzt.  Nada.  And the stuff that I DID find, download, and try (admittedly free) just was crap.  Poorly coded, even more poorly designed.  Beyond that, the Apps Microsoft has supplied with the system seem poor as well.

My question to Windows 8 users of several years now is this:

Have there been releases of software through the App Store for the Metro/Modern environment that actually do useful things?  I'm not talking about fun and games, but stuff someone using a computer for relatively serious work might want.  Yes, I realize that people in that realm don't have much use for full-screen operation.

I ask, because there was always the thought that "sooner or later there might be someone who invents a 'must have' App that makes it all worth having".  Found one yet?

Thanks.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I use the free version of RadioSure which works really well. http://www.radiosure.com

~DP

I regularly use this app to listen to radio:

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/944a35af-92d6-444f-8a52-6d4ee81c99f5

It is easy to listen to a lot of radio stations, compared to finding the stream url and open it with a desktop audio player.

I also may add that Microsoft "forces" you to have Windows Updates enabled in order to use the Windows Store App downloads.

~DP

Does that only apply if Windows Update is completely disabled?

I have it set to notify me of updates but not to download or install them, and I have installed free apps from the Windows Store and it's worked fine.

:)

I also may add that Microsoft "forces" you to have Windows Updates enabled in order to use the Windows Store App downloads.

~DP

Does that only apply if Windows Update is completely disabled?

I have it set to notify me of updates but not to download or install them, and I have installed free apps from the Windows Store and it's worked fine.

I don't know about update settings since my update service is disabled until I get ready to check for updates.

~DP

One of my issues when using the metro apps is you can't download from the Windows Store without using a Microsoft Account.
Which means if you have a Local account setup that allows you to bypass using a  password when logging on is you will be forced to convert from your Local to a MS Live account and then use a password every time you sign on. So your only solution is to NOT use the Windows store to avoid all this.

~DP

I do have a Microsoft account, but I don't use it in Windows 8.1 unless I absolutely have to, and then only temporarily.

Downloading and installing apps from the store seems to work without that, but this may only apply to free apps, which is all I've ever tried.

LOL!  I had a windows 8 machine I hated it from the very start.  I hated the apps.  So, I decided to install XP instead.  WRONG!  Apparently I couldn't do that so I opted for Vista instead.  I know, I know!  VISTA!?  Well anyways an updated SP2 Vista with UAC and metro dissabled on a modern machine runs fine.  Definetly not great but ok and still better then 8.