Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 8.1 maximize

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

theelf

theelf

• 10 posts
  • Joined 03-January 11

Hi !! sorry my english

I bought a Windows 8.1 tablet, and im happy,  but I have a problem

Every windows is maximized .  Every time i open a new application, open maximized, even if the program dont have any maximize button

It seems like windows  "force" every windows to maximize

Not only explorer windows, everything.. 

for example, VirtualPC, instead of open in a normal window (the tablet have a resolution of 800x480)

max0.gif

I get a maximized window, even is obvious that the virtualPC dont have any maximize button, or is possible to do in normal way

max1.gif

Any ideas?

This is a problem, because some times, this "feature" hangs some old software, like Paint Shop Pro

Thanks to all

Edited by theelf, 22 January 2015 - 05:34 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

theelf

theelf

• 10 posts
  • Joined 03-January 11

Update the main post, with images, i think is easy to see the problem

Any ideas? this "feature"...ejem... prevent me to use windows 8.1 normally, because two old software i need to work, hangs :(

Thanks!

Edited by theelf, Yesterday, 11:20 AM.

shae

shae

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 06-July 08
Did you install that skin, or whatever it is? It looks very non-standard, including that taskbar to the right of the screen. How did it look after a clean install?

Also, at least for desktop use, I think the minimum required resolution for Windows 8 is 1024x768.

Edited by shae, Yesterday, 07:37 PM.

theelf

theelf

• 10 posts
  • Joined 03-January 11

Yup, i made the  theme,  to mimic old Windows.  The default 8.1 look is ugly like hell

But is the same  with stock theme, no difference

Just to check there is not a problem from something i did,  I make a factory reset,  but same problem, every window is maximized with a clean window

I check with msconfig if there is any software that made this, but nothing,   i check with regedit same but i dont see nothing abnormal

In desktop im a XP user, thats why my knowledge of 8.1 is still limited,  i dont have 8.1 in any other PC to test, just in tablet

Edited by theelf, Today, 05:41 AM.

shae

shae

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 06-July 08
I tried Win 8.1 in a VM, running similar resolutions, but using VirtualBox's "guest additions". I don't see such a problem.

Does it happen with other software, like Windows' calc.exe? How did you get Virtual PC to be non-maximized if the window button is disabled? fb2k looks okay there, no?

Did you try updating Windows? I've tested on Windows 8.1 updated to about mid-2014 (includes at least the first big update).

VGZvWSM.png

Edited by shae, Today, 01:50 PM.

theelf

theelf

• 10 posts
  • Joined 03-January 11

Hi, thanks for reply

Ok,   i get another Tablet from same maker,  this one is 7"  1280x800 (my tablet..phone is 5"  800x480), and same problem

About VirtualPC, for one second, when open, the size is the correct, and then, maximize, then i have a micro-second to capture :) jaja

About Foobar, i think keeps the size and position the software itself,  because when it open for a second the main window is maximized, and then return to normal size

It happen to all software that save size/position in the ini,   open maximized, and then return to normal size

I updated windows and same problem

For now i tried

1 - My tablet 800x480 and second tablet 1280x800... both do same... maximize all windows

2 - Update windows 8.1

3 - Check with msconfig and regedit, no software doing strange stuff from maker

Nothing :(

I dont have Windows 8.1 to install in my PC and test.... it happen in all windows?  besides my tablet,  i never use 8.1 in any other PC, thats why i ask

EDIT:  A good example, is the Street Fighter 4 launcher

the launcher need to look like this, a small window in middle of desktop...

sf1.jpg

But, looks like this... maximized to full desktop....

This is not correct or normally POSSIBLE to do, because the window have no maximize button!! (this on 1280x800 tablet)

sf2.jpg

Edited by theelf, Today, 06:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

DoubleSAnimations