Component Cab into Zip with installed-directory-structure

Is there a way to extract component cab files into a directory structure (as they would sit in the windows directory, but in a separate folder), that would make it easy to just copy-paste the files of a component into the windows directory?

It would make it easy to experiment if Windows needs the registry entries for certain files, or if it will work with the files just placed into system32 and so on.

For example, I can get by without installing the component "security base".  Without the files manually copied from security base into the windows directory, I can't use regedit to merge a reg file.  With the files in place, but not installed, I can.

Come to think of it, I don't know if "security base" is a win7 component.  I am working with Windows Embedded Standard 7:  I just use it at home for my own system.  It was my choice to use it as an alternative to 7customizer, rt7lite, etc.

If I understand your first statement/question - no! They have to be in the correct folder.

If you mean "can I extract the CAB into the correct folder using a script"...

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744339%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

The script is a different ball of wax.

HTH (and please clarify your requirements/scenario)

The goal for me, was to have less use of system resources.  So my thinking, was that in not having something installed, there would be less chance that unwanted processes/actions would run in the background.  For example, installing a component, might register an additional service, using memory and cpu cycles.  If I don't need that service, why install?  Just copy the files over, in case some app had a dependency on a particular file the component has.  This is my thinking, but I don't know to what extent it is correct.