How to prevent computer from turning off while shutting down?

Andrew T.

I think the Compaq Deskpro EN lacks a reset button, but that would have been ideal. As far as implementing the Windows 9x style "It is now safe to turn off your computer" message into Windows 2000. The Windows 2000 bitmaps are located in NTOSKRNL.EXE as separate components. The banner logo is separate from the window that has the actual message on it, and the blue background must be determined in some other way that I'm currently not aware of.

Windows 98 SE on the other hand uses LOGOS.SYS in the C:\Windows directory. That sys file can be renamed to .bmp and opened to reveal the bitmap image. It's strange, the bitmap seems squashed inwards, just the same as the boot logo in LOGO.SYS and the shutdown logo in LOGOW.SYS.

Anyway, my point is that to implement the Windows 9x bitmap into Windows 2000, some things would need to change. I'm thinking that references to the resources in NTOSKRNL.EXE would need to be changed somehow, perhaps in the registry, though I'm still not sure how the blue background can be changed.

Edited by MrMaguire

I think the Compaq Deskpro EN lacks a reset button, but that would have been ideal.

Yes, that's one of the deficiencies of this particular computer.  At least 2000 is stable enough to make the need to lunge for the button (if it existed) a fairly rare occurrence!

As far as implementing the Windows 9x style "It is now safe to turn off your computer" message into Windows 2000. The Windows 2000 bitmaps are located in NTOSKRNL.EXE as separate components. The banner logo is separate from the window that has the actual message on it, and the blue background must be determined in some other way that I'm currently not aware of.

Windows 98 SE on the other hand uses LOGOS.SYS in the C:\Windows directory. That sys file can be renamed to .bmp and opened to reveal the bitmap image. It's strange, the bitmap seems squashed inwards, just the same as the boot logo in LOGO.SYS and the shutdown logo in LOGOW.SYS.

Anyway, my point is that to implement the Windows 9x bitmap into Windows 2000, some things would need to change. I'm thinking that references to the resources in NTOSKRNL.EXE would need to be changed somehow, perhaps in the registry, though I'm still not sure how the blue background can be changed.

Interesting!  There are some tutorials to changing the resources in NTOSKRNL.EXE on the web (mostly for the purpose of changing the boot-up screen), and all of them involve some combination of Resource Hacker and/or hex editing.  Doable, but probably too much of a challenge for my mood at the moment.

Since the NT-type OSes have a different technological lineage than the 9x line, I expect their behavior to be different in a lot of ways.  The exact ways in *how* it's different continually surprise me, though.

FWIW, *if* your MoBo has the two "pins" for Reset (most do, OEM's just don't bother), you could get an old (junk) PC and maybe "hack" the button onto your case.

Not worth my sending you said button. I have a few just laying in a box for bench-testing MoBo's . :(

As a side note, *some* MoBo's you can set in the BIOS how the Power Button reacts (ACPI, which I believe you have) and you can either hold it in for a few seconds and Reboot *or* hold it longer to shut down. Whether yours does that... :unsure: .

Sadly, from what I've been able to find there is no Reset pins for a Dekpro EN. Worse, you need to provide a model number to investigate further. There seems to be an Older Slot variation and a newer Socket-380 version. See this to help identify what you have *specifically* -

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Compaq-Elite-Pro/Identify-DeskPro-EN/td-p/685077

Why I said what I did -

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Compaq-Elite-Pro/motherboard-harddrive-led-etc-pins/td-p/621100

http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Compaq/Deskpro/Desktop/EN_ENL_SDT/identifying_system_board.html

:( As I said, it *may* be within the Power Button. Heck, without the Model# I can't even find out what the BIOS settings are. :crazy: