Extending W2k - I can't get an overview

Ramcourse

I've been happily running W2k for many years, and although I tried out newer operating systems, I've always slaked a sigh of relief when I put back my W2k image after a months' attempt to get the new stuff as functional, smooth and quick. I've been toying with this setup for years, tweaking and re-tweaking, and I considered myself pretty computer-savvy

Then I came here, and I found out I don't have a clue about my favorite operating system. I read very exciting developments, with kernel extensions, ported updates, and very good in-depth advice on getting the impossible done. I love it, I'm simply in awe.

However, there is a problem: I can't place most of the information I read. I understand there are multiple kernel extensions. I'm all for extending the kernel capabilities of my OS, but there seem to be multiple extensions available, which are incompatible with each other (and with certain other mods and updates?) and of which it's unclear to me whether they are drop-in, fire-and-forget, stable extensions which make my install more capable, or whether these are Frankensteinian hacks which work in only very specific circumstances and will brick my PC if I don't make the Elder Sign every 13 minutes. I appreciate the knowledge, the skill and the effort invested, but for me it is unclear what exactly is happening under the hood.

I get tantalizing views of possibilities I had not dared dream of when browsing BlackWingCats blog, but the translations are so bad that I can't be quite sure of what he says (except that it's awesome!) and none of the download links seem to work for me (could be Google Translate). It seems that people on this forum seem to have no such problem!

Likewise, there are roll-ups that incorporate tweaks that make them incompatible with later versions of the same roll-ups, as far as I can tell. There seem to be roll-ups of updates, which do or do not incorporate kernel extensions, core extensions, and which are -naturally- incompatible with other improvement packages. Frankly, I'm pretty lost.

I've tried to get an overview, and so far I'm failing. Every answer I get, begets two new questions. Is there an overview of all these projects? And, perhaps, a way to find out how to mix and match these projects?

Yes/No - browse around the Unattended area (hotfixes also listed) and also google this

"windows 2000" hfslip site:msfn.org
That's mainly where you'll find just about everything.

Also see this -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158916-guide-to-installing-and-updating-windows-2000-professional/

Be aware that many BWC fixes are primarily for newer PC's, so it depends on your needs. There's a repository for those "fixes" that you may be directed to (implied, *not* a direct link - sorry...).

HTH and good luck. :thumbup

Edited by submix8c

Thanks for answering! I think I'd like to try BWC's improvements, because I've been looking at upgrading my machine with some new parts, and its performance is still (mostly thanks to the lightweight OS) pretty good. It beats the pants of several colleagues' modern laptops, for sure.

Specs:

Intel P45/ICH10 chipset

E8400 processor @3.00 GHz

4.5 TB in 2TB HDD+2TB HDD+.5TB SSD disks <== SSD might be better off if I could switch to AHCI, can't figure out how to though

GeForce 9400 GT <== candidate for upgrade, but nothing current seems to have W2k drivers

Assorted peripheral crap.

I understand that you're not allowed to give a direct link to a repository, but are you also disallowed to tell me what search terms to use? ;)

To setup an unofficially updated Windows 2000 machine, you need:

- Unofficial Service Pack 5.1

- Update Rollup 2 (unofficial package)

and

- Unofficial Update Rollup (Which is a rolling release. Latest release: November 30th, 2014)

Everything else available is either some variation of the same thing, or something that's not completely necessary to run for example the latest version of Firefox. There are things like the Group Policy Client Side Extension and the Windows Imaging Component that help with certain things, but aren't essential.

I've been using Windows 2000 with unofficial updates for well over 6 months now. The only problems that I've encountered have been results of my own daring to mess with what isn't broken, certain expected incompatibilities and installing MS Office 2007 (It can be installed using the Chrome Tool, but don't, trust me :) ). Of course there are security risks to using an operating system that hasn't been updated properly in almost 5 years on the internet. But, if you're sensible, you should be okay, especially if you use an up-to-date browser, which is totally possible. As far as stability goes, I once had my unofficially updated Windows 2000 machine running 24/7 with no reboots for over a month, with constant daily usage (My main computer at the time). I only had to shut it down so I could physically move it.

I really want to put together a comprehensive guide to the Unofficial Windows 2000 Update packages. So far I haven't made much progress.

I'd like to include this posting from tomasz86 on his website:

Tomasz86_Explaination_for_Installing_Uno

^ That really helped me when I was new at this. And yes, finding something specific on BlackWingCat's website can be a challenge. :)

Oh and by the way, SSDs don't need to operate with the SATA controller in AHCI mode, it's just beneficial because of the bandwidth increase.

Edited by MrMaguire