Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

XP Pro keeps rebooting

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

peter777

peter777

Junior

• Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 15-November 12

I added a HDD containing Win XP pro (SP3). I can't boot to it, it keeps on rebooting. This hard drive was from another computer, an older computer, so possibly it is a drivers issue ??

Have read various articles about this, but seems they rely on being able to boot into safe mode. I can't boot into safe mode. I can select it, but it only goes so far and then reboots again.

When I select safe mode, it displays the drivers, and seems to stop at aswRvrt.sys . A google search on that file, it is an Avast file I think. Could XP Pro also be unable to boot because this computer has a newer cpu, graphics card,etc ? That said, it is 6 years old.

Please advise.

Peter777

Edited by peter777, Today, 02:46 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,352 posts
  • Joined 23-November 05

You can't just move one installation to an other motherboard and expect it to run. Maybe a repair (booting from XP CD, same version, same service pack, same Internet Explorer version) could fix that. Not sure. Also you will have to reactivate XP as all the devices the activation is linked to have been replaced.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,477 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Ponch is correct. You'll also need the COA key from the old PC unless the Current PC is the same Vendor, in which case the Internal Key (found in the Other HDD Registry "SOFTWARE" Hive) can be used with the "I386" folder found "somewhere" in that HDD (the *full* Install, not the ServicePack folder) plus the OEMBIOS.xxx files "somewhere" on that HDD. The OEM key on that HDD can be gotten using this tool -

http://www.drowaelde...eyfinder-pe.htm

Of course, you'll have to have a WindowsPE (or a LiveXP) to run it if that's the *only* OS in that PC. Otherwise, hook it up to a running from another HDD OS andf get it "remotely". Note that the procedure is *only* useful if it's currently hooked up to the same OEM Vendor (e.g. Dell) MoBo. Otherwise, the COA key is *absolutely* necessary as cross-swapping Vendor Mobo's will *not* work.

Ponch is absolutely correct, but you haven't provided much in the way of details. Usually an OEM install has a "hidden partition" on it with the Restore To Factory Files. If it's not OEM, then you'll *have* to have that COA Key (also found in that Hive). In either case, you'll have to have the *same edition* Source Files (or those off the HDD as said above) for a Repair Install (repeating what Ponch already stated).

HTH

(Clarifying/extending Ponch post only, with additional helpful link.)

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

cdob

cdob

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • Joined 29-September 05

I added a HDD containing Win XP pro (SP3). I can't boot to it, it keeps on rebooting. This hard drive was from another computer, an older computer, so possibly it is a drivers issue ??

The request is not supported. Expect some trouble.

Press F8 at boot and disable automatic reboot: which BSOD do you read?

The first idea is mass storage controller:
guessed: goto BIOS and enable IDE emulation mode

More detailed informations are required:
which old and new hardware?
which drivers are used at old system?

peter777

peter777

Junior

• Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 15-November 12

Thanks for your replies. I do notice when it tries to boot in XP, that there is a (very quick) blue screen, but I can't pause it to see what is written there. I will try the F8 to disable auto reboot. I can actually view the entire drive from Kubuntu. Here is boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Sorry for not giving more details. The PC that I used that HDD in for XP Pro was a asus p2-350. It had less ram and an old video card. The drive is a 250Gb sata seagate. I had used the same display/monitor through a KVM switch. The software was purchased probably about 10 years ago. I still have that CD with the COA on it.

The new computer (well 6 yrs old) is an asus also. If I could stop the display at boot and record that info, it may help. If possible, I don't want to have to reinstall XP pro, as I also have some old win95B software on it that I use from time to time.

I have managed to take a video of the startup and freeze that frame.

Attached Files

Edited by peter777, Today, 05:24 PM.

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,352 posts
  • Joined 23-November 05

If you want help, you will need to provide more accurate info about the new motherboard. (Asus is just a brand).

Also you say you boot Kubuntu, are you booting XP directly from the "added" HDD (as single or 1st HDD) and not from a multiboot from an other HDD?

Also SATA being introduced after 2002, I guess a 250GB SATA drive on a P2 motherboard was hooked on an an added controller (if P2-350 really is your former processor).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

peter777