People Are Reporting Windows 10 TP is Showing Up as an Update

NoelC

Incredible as it sounds, people are starting to report that a Windows Update to install Windows 10 has been automatically showing up on their Windows 7 systems.

See also:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-do-i-block-automatic-upgrade-of-my-windows-7/0d0c01b8-2e30-4452-8dd6-ac43b0d7d83a

When updating my Windows 7 x64 test system, I personally did NOT see such an update offered, BUT... I did see this one, which was unchecked by default:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3021917

It's titled "Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements".  Who wouldn't want that, based on the title?  Who wouldn't select that one for installation?

But read more carefully...

This update performs diagnostics in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) in order to determine whether performance issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. Telemetry is sent back to Microsoft for those computers that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). This update will help Microsoft and its partners deliver better system performance for customers who are seeking to install the latest Windows operating system.

Hm, so it sounds like they're drop-loading software into Windows 7 systems to gauge whether the system is ready for Windows 10.

I can only guess that once such software has run, and the system has been deemed capable of running Windows 10 TP, Microsoft feels comfortable in offering a Windows 10 "upgrade" to be delivered via Windows Update.

Is it just me, or is this kind of a new level of "foot in the door" for them?

-Noel

Possibly.  I always disable all the customer experience improvement program stuff.

I wonder if a majority of halfway savvy people do...  So the majority of feedback they get is about how the more technically challenged folks use Windows.  That could explain Microsoft's low opinion of its users...

-Noel