Setting the order of the commands in the context menu of Windows

egrabrych

The problem is as follows:

The commands of the Windows Explorer context menu are displayed as grouped (into groups of commands divided by separators), and the order of the groups (and commands in them) cannot be changed. Unlike in the Start menu, where it is possible to change the order of commands.

However, there are exceptions. For example, in the configuration options of the “Attribute Changer” (http://www.petges.lu/home/) program, you can enable an option that causes the program’s launch command to always be displayed at the end of the last group in the context menu. And it works very well.

I tried to find the mechanism allowing for such a result by looking for an appropriate entry in the Windows Registry. But to no avail. I was unable to determine what entry it might be. Does anyone know anything more on the subject and could answer me this: How can it be achieved to put the chosen command in the last (or, preferably, in a specific) position in the context menu of Windows Explorer?

The only way to order items in the context menu is to export them as reg file, then delete them in the registry, order them in the reg file as you wish them to appear and then import that reg file in the registry. This won't allow you to put shell extension items above standard items however, and shell extensions items may force themselves to a specific place.

So, the case of the order of commands in the context menu is similar to the case of the order of commands in the Send To menu (there, if you want change the order of commands, you also need to move them from SendTo to another folder, then restore them in the correct order). And this similarity may not be accidental.

Well, I guess you can perform such an operation when it’s something important. But otherwise, there would be little point in doing so.

Thanks for your answer!