Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

ATI Graphics Crashing

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,032 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

My "new" X800 card arrived today, and I put it in in place of the X850.

It found the drivers and seemed to work fine, but it's still crashing exactly the same!

:(

I then did some more experimenting.

I put the X850 back in, and removed the Nvidia card.

Still crashing.

:no:

I then moved the X850 into the 16x PCIe slot where the Nvidia card normally lives.

Still crashing.

:no:

So -

1/ It isn't a hardware fault in the card.

2/ The presence of the Nvidia card doesn't seem to affect things.

3/ It doesn't matter which PCIe slot it's plugged onto.

I still suspect a memory issue.

Not main RAM of course, some other low level memory issue that didn't happen with my previous motherboard, but does with this one.

I am using the RAM limitation patch from @rloew, which may have an effect, but Windows 98 wouldn't work at all without it I suspect!

:)

Triple boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a, Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit, and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Dual graphics cards ATI Radeon X850 and Nvidia Geforce 210. 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,542 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Really off-the wall...

Seem to remember an "AGP Aperture Size" problem. I had to half mine to get it to even boot.

May or may not be relevant.

Also, not looking back at the posts in the thread, I'm assuming the Video Card RAM is within limits of what 98 handles (unless rloew pacth "cures that?).

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users