Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

ATI Graphics Crashing

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,036 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

My "new" X800 card arrived today, and I put it in in place of the X850.

It found the drivers and seemed to work fine, but it's still crashing exactly the same!

:(

I then did some more experimenting.

I put the X850 back in, and removed the Nvidia card.

Still crashing.

:no:

I then moved the X850 into the 16x PCIe slot where the Nvidia card normally lives.

Still crashing.

:no:

So -

1/ It isn't a hardware fault in the card.

2/ The presence of the Nvidia card doesn't seem to affect things.

3/ It doesn't matter which PCIe slot it's plugged onto.

I still suspect a memory issue.

Not main RAM of course, some other low level memory issue that didn't happen with my previous motherboard, but does with this one.

I am using the RAM limitation patch from @rloew, which may have an effect, but Windows 98 wouldn't work at all without it I suspect!

:)

Triple boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a, Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit, and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Dual graphics cards ATI Radeon X850 and Nvidia Geforce 210. 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,547 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Really off-the wall...

Seem to remember an "AGP Aperture Size" problem. I had to half mine to get it to even boot.

May or may not be relevant.

Also, not looking back at the posts in the thread, I'm assuming the Video Card RAM is within limits of what 98 handles (unless rloew pacth "cures that?).

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,036 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Yes, I remember AGP aperture settings being critical as well, but that was with my old motherboard.

My present one isn't AGP, it's PCI, PCI-X, and PCIe.

I certainly had the AGP version of the X850 working very happily with my old motherboard for several years, and the 256 MB of memory didn't seem to be a problem.

I even for a while had an AGP Nvidia card installed on the old motherboard until the fan died, and that had 512 MB of memory!

All made possible by the RAM limitation patch of course.

Triple boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a, Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit, and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Dual graphics cards ATI Radeon X850 and Nvidia Geforce 210. 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06

Well, you may try to fiddle with whatever settings the BIOS offers - IRQs, memory range etc. - or get a 9x-compatible nVidia card and get rid of the X800 (unless you wanna keep it as spare).

Dunno if setting 'Plug and Play OS' in the BIOS (if available) to 'No' would help, but that may create problems in XP/8.1. It's worth a try, just for your peace of mind.

There may also be a slight chance of altering the memory and IRQ configuration for the videocard in Device Manager, if the card allows it. I had a Dell machine with a test 98SE installation which wouldn't take an ATI card under any circumstances. I've tried all possible tricks (BIOS, Device Manager) but still yielded conflicts. After pulling the card out and fiddling with memory ranges in Device Manager, the on-board graphics (Intel or something) was accepted and worked fine. So it may just be that your motherboard hates ATI (as much as I do :D ).

Edited by Drugwash, Yesterday, 07:07 AM.

MrMateczko

MrMateczko

• 41 posts
  • Joined 29-June 13
No one mentioned capacitors on the mobo? See if they are in any way bulging.

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,036 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Thanks guys, but I am pretty convinced now that it isn't a hardware problem, it only because I've substituted the card, and it made no difference, and also it all works perfectly on Windows XP and Windows 8.1.

There are no relevant BIOS settings that I can see.

The problem with going completely over to Nvidia cards, apart from the driver files clashing if I want to be able to use both cards on any of my operating systems, is that I also have an old Canopus DV video capture card, whose editing software uses hardware overlays to display the pictures.

I have never had any success getting this to work with anything other than ATI cards, and even recent models of those don't support it.

I had to put up without it when I had the single AGP Nvidia card fitted on the old motherboard, and it was very annoying not to have it, so I wouldn't want to go back to that, it would be only a very last resort!

I might PM rloew now to see if he has any suggestions.

Edited by Dave-H, Yesterday, 11:54 AM.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06

There's always a skeleton in the closet. ;)

Maybe you should build yourself a secondary machine for a specific purpose, such as video capturing, using perfectly compatible hardware and software, leaving the currently troublesome one to its own tasks with its own compatible hardware and software. Connect the two through a switch or router and you're a happy camper.

Unless there are more skeletons in your closet... :whistle:

buyerninety

buyerninety

Dude,¯\_{ö}_/¯ where's my avatar?

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 18-August 10

I wonder if the actions usually taken to mitigate the ATI 'hardware cursor bug'

might also act to mitigate this problem? (but probably not fix it). Worth a try -

set in Control Panel, Mouse Properties, Display Pointer Trails to 'on' (and its'

slider bar to minimum), and check 'off' Enable Pointer Shadow (then Reboot).

Edited by buyerninety, Today, 07:08 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users