Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows XP: The truly unstoppable OS

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

AnX

AnX

Fighting for the right to OS since 2010

• PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Joined 20-June 12

Its downright amazing what this, now 14 year old OS can do. I run a dualboot of WIndows 8.1 and XP. With the RAM patch installed, Windows XP can use all of my 8 gigs of RAM. I run an 8 core processor from AMD (FX-8320) and XP sure does fly on that. I can use it as an everyday OS and have not one single issue. The updates 'til 2019 fix is jsut icing on the cake. Windows XP has done the impossible, what no other OS could do.

And I am 99.9% sure that you will see plenty of XP users in ever 2020.

Now if only XP could support DX 11 (or perhaps the new DX 12?  :w00t: ), then it would be the perfect OS.

• Tommy likes this

AMD FX-8320 8-core CPU (OC to 4.4GHz) with Hyper 212 Evo, ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard, 8GB 1600 RAM, 60GB SSD (OS) and 500GB HDD (Storage), Sapphire R7 260X 2GB Graphics Card, 620W Seasonic S12II, CM HAF 912 case.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,583 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

To tie it together -

http://www.msfn.org/...e/#entry1094603

I assume that you *only* applied the patch, or did you add certain parameters in BOOT.INI?

You never specifically said over there.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

bluebolt

bluebolt

• PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Joined 11-March 13

XP’s “unstoppability” is especially impressive when you consider how its own creepy maker is trying to kill it off.

I wish the filicidal creep would officially abandon XP altogether so the world could legally download the student version, which, like Windows 2000 Professional, requires no activation.

• j7n and Tommy like this

TELVM

TELVM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Joined 09-February 12

... XP sure does fly ...

And you've not even bothered to disinfect your SSD to install XP on it. :D

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,216 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

I had to install a XP VM to install drivers/software for my old phone to backup all messages/contacts. I can't undestand why someone still uses this ugly UX (look&feel and the ugly way of using it like no search in Start) of Windows XP :no: :no: :puke:

Posted Image

AnX

AnX

Fighting for the right to OS since 2010

• PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Joined 20-June 12

I had installed that Chinese patch. It works flawlessly. Don't even need to set parameters.

@MagicAndre You may apply another theme of your choice if you don't like the XP one.

AMD FX-8320 8-core CPU (OC to 4.4GHz) with Hyper 212 Evo, ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard, 8GB 1600 RAM, 60GB SSD (OS) and 500GB HDD (Storage), Sapphire R7 260X 2GB Graphics Card, 620W Seasonic S12II, CM HAF 912 case.

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09

I can't undestand why someone still uses this ugly UX (look&feel and the ugly way of using it like no search in Start) of Windows XP  :no: :no: :puke:

I never used vistas nor 7's search as they both suck a**

so does of 8 and 10

indexer is garbage, and MS never uses MFT search which is instant and no resource hungry at all

as for XP UI, whats wrong with it ? - don't misplace ugly theme and UI itself, 2 big different things

• j7n likes this
If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

TELVM

TELVM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Joined 09-February 12

XP is much nicer after switching to some non-Playskool theme like Royale Remixed.

royale-remixed-theme-14.jpg

JodyT

JodyT

Not a Win10 Fan :P

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11

I loved Royale Noir.  I made some mods to it and used it for the longest time.

Cheers,

Jody Thornton

(Thornhill, Ontario)

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

Still using Royale Noir. Sometimes I'll use Embedded. Built addons and an installer for them.

Outbreaker

Outbreaker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Joined 08-August 07

Please share. ;)

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11

Sounds like an idea.  I have a few I modded (but without permission), so I wonder what fair use rights would be entailed there.

But when I get home, I can upload them.

Cheers,

Jody Thornton

(Thornhill, Ontario)

HarryTri

HarryTri

• PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Joined 17-August 12

Well, I (really!) got in love with Windows XP the first time I saw their default desktop and start menu.

I always love Windows XP!

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10

XP’s “unstoppability” is especially impressive when you consider how its own creepy maker is trying to kill it off.

I wish the filicidal creep would officially abandon XP altogether so the world could legally download the student version, which, like Windows 2000 Professional, requires no activation.

I have a non-activation version of Windows XP Professional since I was in an IT class and we used it, but I still use Windows 2000 mainly because I still prefer it over XP. I do agree though that certain things are getting harder to do on Windows 2000, even with KernelEx, such as using newer drivers or even a few programs. I still don't know if and when I have to abandon 2000 as my main computing solution if I'll switch over to Windows XP or if I'll bite the bullet and just use Windows 7. I like XP over 7 because it isn't so sluggish. I don't care what people say about 7 or even 8 for that matter, if you have an older computer from the mid to late 2000s, Windows 7 will always be a bit sluggish. I really can't imagine how they have 1GHz as a minimum processor. That's a Pentium 3 coppermine....apparently the minimum is kept in mind with people who have a lot of time on their hands. But when something stops responding in 7, I hate how it turns white and basically holds up the entire computer. So I do think XP is a better choice overall to use.

• j7n likes this

Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98 Second Edition

2dtzy51.png
stillwin9xmsfnbt0.png

j7n

j7n

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Joined 18-December 06
"Minimum" requirements are meaningless with most software products. I'm not familiar with Windows Eight, but it does defy common wisdom that software gets more bloated inefficient with every release, and less compatible with older systems that have no commercial value anymore. According to Wiki, Win98 "requires" 16 MB of RAM. Let's bump it to 32 MB. The naked OS with very lean drivers (implies ancient hardware) will boot, but you won't be able to add any applications or allow to for registry growth. Software publishers seem to have a vague definition of what constitutes a functional computer, and leave options open to stretch the facts with cherry picked cases.

For example, we can see here a demonstration where Win Eight is supposedly faster or on par with XP, and of course more "secure" than anything that came before it.

And yet, it takes the multi-core PC more than a minute to open the Event Viewer with its logs fully parsed. A similar amount of data is read with the older XP's management console in seconds.

That is unless you were to compare a Pentium II doing the same operation. Microsoft somehow manages to get away with taking credit for faster processors, video cards, HD audio and megapixel pictures, as if their OS somehow was crucial in enabling these parts to work.

I've had a rather "upbeat" first experience with XP's GUI. I think I was impressed by its warm color scheme. The PC in question had the standard reddish Luna theme, but also the brown "Autumn" wallpaper. In retrospect this was rather silly. But that is how I remember. The PCs I got to work with were a generation behind with quarter the memory (64 MB) running Win2K.
  • Tommy likes this

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09

Well, I (really!) got in love with Windows XP the first time I saw their default desktop and start menu.

I hated XP, mostly coz I was winME user, but that thing was so unstable that I wanted solid OS

then I heard of its "brother" win2000, but it lacked good multimedia support

then years later I switched to XP SP1 that was blazing fast and loved it since

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11

Sounds like an idea.  I have a few I modded (but without permission), so I wonder what fair use rights would be entailed there.
But when I get home, I can upload them.

Here a few visual styles that I used.  I modified them somewhat (smaller caption buttons or start button replacement, etc).  Use as you like.  I may have more.

(Actually, it's too big to attach.  Send me a PM :) or if someone knows another way, that would be great.)

Cheers,

Jody Thornton

(Thornhill, Ontario)

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11

Please share. ;)

I need your PM.  In 7-zip format, I've got it down to 5 mb.

Cheers,

Jody Thornton

(Thornhill, Ontario)

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make the garbage after it my idea

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05

I had to install a XP VM to install drivers/software for my old phone to backup all messages/contacts. I can't undestand why someone still uses this ugly UX (look&feel and the ugly way of using it like no search in Start) of Windows XP :no: :no: :puke:

Look and feel can be changed via themes and UXStyle. Start menu search is no match for "Everything" search by Voidtools which runs just fine on Windows XP. You can assign a hotkey for "Everything" and just launch anything just as fast - whether it's app shortcuts, documents etc. If you really need to find contents of indexed files, there is Windows Search 4.0 available too although it's such a resource hog.

Edited by xpclient, 26 July 2015 - 09:14 PM.

Impossible to run the garbage Windows OSes after XP without third party fixes.

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

I hate Windows Search 4.0 with a passion.

Edited by 5eraph, 25 July 2015 - 05:12 AM.

• JodyT likes this

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11

I hate Windows Search 4.0 with a passion.

Me too.  I also have Windows Search and Indexing removed on Vista, using vLite.

Cheers,

Jody Thornton

(Thornhill, Ontario)

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11

OK here's the link to the themes.  Whew!

https://www.dropbox....Backups.7z?dl=0

Cheers,

Jody Thornton

(Thornhill, Ontario)

caps_buster

caps_buster

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 20-February 09

I still use Windows 2000 mainly because I still prefer it over XP. I do agree though that certain things are getting harder to do on Windows 2000, even with KernelEx, such as using newer drivers or even a few programs.

I would love to use Win2k, but some stubborn programmers decided to stop supporting it :( Real shame. I like my W2k much over my WinXP. In Win7 i feel like I'm locked in my own computer, so this OS is only for gaming computer.

WinXP there and *loving* them almost like I loved W2k SP4. Sadly... modern GPU-Z, FFMPEG and few **** games need WinXP :(

Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09

thats destiny for any OS

unfortunately

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11

I still use Windows 2000 mainly because I still prefer it over XP. I do agree though that certain things are getting harder to do on Windows 2000, even with KernelEx, such as using newer drivers or even a few programs.

I would love to use Win2k, but some stubborn programmers decided to stop supporting it :( Real shame. I like my W2k much over my WinXP. In Win7 i feel like I'm locked in my own computer, so this OS is only for gaming computer.

WinXP there and *loving* them almost like I loved W2k SP4. Sadly... modern GPU-Z, FFMPEG and few **** games need WinXP :(

Up until I used XP x64 Edition, Windows 2000 was my all time favourite version of Windows.  I do wish I could have used it longer, but it's amazing what it will even run.  You could be still fairly productive on it.

Cheers,

Jody Thornton

(Thornhill, Ontario)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users