Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

New XP install does not recognize new partition on HDD

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,551 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Here is the "odd" part -

http://superuser.com...-repartitioning

I have HP Laptop that came with preinstalled Win 7. It actually had 4 primary partitions:

• 200 MB System partition that is not visible in Windows
  • C: partition
  • HP_Recovery partition of about 15 GB
  • HP_Tools partition of about 5 GB

Notice the order, also noting this is (usually) S.O.P. for Recovery Partitions? Notice also how "resizing" boogers the whole "matrix"? Again, the "PARTITION" Sectors ar *not* what they seem, as some of the OEM's have a nasty habit of using *non-standard* code (and "extra" sectors) thta *would* cause XP Install to "see" an odd amount of "free space", that "space" not being "seen" from the perspective of the Partition Table (as seen in the MBR), but of the Partition Sectors.

Another example of "correct order of Partitions" -

http://www.notebookf...onprobleme.html

A post in the thread mentioned above -

http://www.msfn.org/...es/#entry960025

...and subsequent posts (HP morons follow moron Dell's fiasco...)

Seriously, the Recover Partition should "never" be at the Beginning Of The Physical Drive! I just recently gave back an HP with a USB3 failure (remember that thread? Win7 x64) with nearly the exact layout *except* that the "Tools" weren't on a separate partition. FWIW, I saved that MBR and did a *complete* backup of each and every partition *and* Partition sectors in case the guy finally got a new MoBo. *And* pulled a "stunt" to obtain the Restore DVD's. (I despise these oddball OEM methods.) (Side note: thie backups I did may/may not help at all for the OP. Yet to be seen - see below.) Basically, I did this (and then some) -

http://www.msfn.org/...es/#entry960185

IOW, the "shrink and format" has (apparently) created a "mess", if you will ("W-Drive in Win7, but nada during Install"). Please remember (Goodells) that Dell does this same (similar) stupid stuff. ("Odd" alignments as well?) It *may* very well behoove the OP to use HDHAcker to obtain the Logical Drive starting sectors as well. :unsure:

HDHacker is a stand-alone micro-utility that saves, visualizes, and restores the MBR (from a physical drive), the BootSector (from a logical drive) or any specified sector from any disk (even removable disks).

Therein lies my point. Something (potentially) is amiss beyond First 512-byte Sector.

BTW, not disputing the *need* for a snapshot of the MBR/PartitionTable Sector. Simply pointing out that something beyond that is amiss and that under *no circumstances* should any other action be taken other than what *you* indicate (being the more experienced).

@oldtiger64 - TAKE NOTE - I bow to jaclaz' expertise. Do what he says, just read my posts as FYI's *only*.

Edited by submix8c, Today, 08:54 AM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,215 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Therein lies my point. Something (potentially) is amiss beyond First 512-byte Sector.

BTW, not disputing the *need* for a snapshot of the MBR/PartitionTable Sector. Simply pointing out that something beyond that is amiss and that under *no circumstances* should any other action be taken other than what *you* indicate (being the more experienced).

Yep :), it is very possible that *something else* is missing or mis-configured (accidentally or by design by the good HP guys) or already ruined by some previous user action or even botched (accidentally or by design by any function of the running OS or by the parts of the XP setup that were already run) but let's go step by step :), let's see first what is in the MBR (as opposed to what might be in it or be missing from it or in/from any of the partitions bootsectors or anywhere else) and let's make next move starting from that actual data.

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users