Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Forcing assign the selected letter to the system partition of Windows

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

egrabrych

egrabrych

Junior

• Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 27-May 10

Donator

Of course, I know that there are programs which do it correctly and then the problem described below no longer occurs.

But my interest is in the case where as a result of using a program which doesn’t do it fully correctly (I’m thinking of Partition Magic here) the problem described below did occur. I’m interested in a solution to the problem other than repeating the cloning operation using a “better” program!

And the said problem is as follows: I decided to move all my files from an old, worn out disk to a new one. Including the system partition of Windows XP (in my PC it’s primary FAT32 – but that’s probably not important). Started in Windows XP, Partition Magic copied all existing partitions onto the new disk without any problems. However, an attempt to start Windows XP from the new disk resulted in failure, because the system partition was assigned a different letter than on the old disk (on the old one it was D; on the new one it was N).

I know that if I forced Partition Magic not to assign a letter to the new system partition, and then tried to start Windows XP (from the new disk) in the situation where none of the partitions had the letter D assigned, D would get assigned automatically to the new system partition and Windows XP would start. But, is there any program, run outside Windows, which can enforce assigning a chosen letter to the Windows system partition? I searched through the capabilities of programs run from UBCD 5.33 but I haven’t been able to find anything of the sort.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users