[BTACH] 'SET Va=St' with '& ECHO' doesn't work

HI,

I'm trying to get this first command line here to work but i have no luck to get it working. :(

@ECHO OFFSET "FN=FolderName" & ECHO "%FN%"PAUSE

But on separate lines i works. :crazy:

@ECHO OFFSET "FN=FolderName"ECHO "%FN%"PAUSE
Edited by Outbreaker

Try:

@ECHO OFFSETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONSSET "FN=FolderName" & ECHO "%FN%"PAUSESET FN=CALL SET "FN=FolderName" & FOR /F "Tokens=2 delims==" %%A IN ('SET FN') DO ECHO "%%A"PAUSESET FN=SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSIONSET "FN=FolderName" & ECHO "!FN!"PAUSE

;)

jaclaz

The first example didn't work so i used the last one but since i need to have everything in one code line i used this code below this one should work but it doesn't. :(

CMD /Q /C V:ON SET "FM=FolderName" & ECHO "!FM!"
Edited by Outbreaker

The first example didn't work so i used the last one but since i need to have everything in one code line i used this code below this one should work but it doesn't. :(

Well, you are in the (common BTW) issue of mis-communicating, the known xyz or the chocolate covered banana:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/put-down-the-chocolate-covered-banana.html

You want to reach a goal, but you do not specify it and ask a question related to a tiny bit of what you believe to be the way to reach that goal (which may or may not the "right" way) 

However :) try:

CMD V:ON /Q /C "SET "FN=FolderName" &FOR /F "tokens=2 delims==" %%A IN ('SET FN') DO ECHO "%%A""

jaclaz

Am I missing something?

CMD /Q/D/C "SET "FN=FolderName"&CALL ECHO;"%FN%""

If you want to actually read the output then use either:

CMD /Q/D/K "SET "FN=FolderName"&CALL ECHO;"%FN%""

or:

CMD /Q/D/C "SET "FN=FolderName"&CALL ECHO;"%FN%"&PING -n 4 127.0.0.1>NUL"

Am I missing something?

Not yet. :w00t:

Till now the usual screenplay has been followed to the letter:

1. someone asks something about batch
  2. jaclaz provides a possible solution
  3. Yzöwl provides another (often better) one :yes:

at this point normally Gunsmokingman enters the scene and posts a .vbs to the same effect of the batches/snippets posted earlier, this time since the topic seems to be "strictly" batch, this might not happen :unsure: that would be a twist to the story... ;)

jaclaz

Strangely, I think I really am missing something!

...the point!

Why set a variable for a fraction of a second, the sole purpose of which is to output its value to a console which would have closed before reading it?

You are not missing it :no:, it simply does not exist :w00t:, the whole point of the game, when played outside common rules, is to continuously shift the actual question towards something else at each iteration.

Technically ;) this is often referred to as "Ninja Point" :whistle::

motivator9839607.jpg

The original question made some sense, but as soon as a "normal" solution (actually two) were proposed, the question became different (having no actual practical use) and I suspect that even the modified question has very little in common with the actual goal/expected result/intended use, hence the reference to the xyz issue.

jaclaz

Something to learn from this example.

The command string should follow /C or /K. Not using /C or /K immediately before the command string can expect failure.

V:ON would be an invalid parameter as a leading forward slash would be expected. CMD seems to ignore V:ON and thus delayed expansion is not turned on.

The command string has more then 2 double quotes. CMD may strip outer double quotes which may leave the command string as invalid. I would add extra outer double quotes on the command string and use the /S parameter to force CMD to strip those outer double quotes to be safe.

This information can be viewed by using the command CMD /? .

Following the information I mentioned above, I would use

CMD /S /Q /V:ON /C "SET "FM=FolderName" & ECHO "!FM!""

which tests as working.

Edited by MHz

Interesting this one works great thanks. :thumbup

For anyone who asks themselves why i need this command here is the complete command i use. ;)

CMD /S /Q /V:ON /C "SET "EmptyFolder=%ProgramFiles%\Software\temp" & PUSHD "!EmptyFolder!" && (RMDIR "!EmptyFolder!" /S /Q 2>NUL & POPD)"

This will delete everything in a folder but will not delete the Root folder (temp).  :)

I'm only not sure if i should use the /S at the beginning or not it works with both. :ph34r:

Edited by Outbreaker

I'm only not sure if i should use the /S at the beginning or not it works with both. :ph34r:

Not needed in your case as the command string does not start with a double quote and end with a double quote. I saw all the double quotes and considered mentioning the /S yet after I posted I noticed that the command string begins with the command Set with double quotes coming later in the string.

If you do have a command string starting and ending with double quotes like (omitting the CMD /Q /C stuff being shown, rather just the command string)

"path\to\file.exe" > "path\to\logfile.log"

then CMD may strip the outer double quotes following legacy conditions. So it would be executed as

path\to\file.exe" > "path\to\logfile.log

which would fail as the redirection character is now double quoted with the white space.

Apologies for any confusion. You can still use the /S and use extra double quotes if you want though it is not needed with your command line shown.

Interesting this one works great thanks. :thumbup

For anyone who asks themselves why i need this command here is the complete command i use. ;)

CMD /S /Q /V:ON /C "SET "EmptyFolder=%ProgramFiles%\Software\temp" & PUSHD "!EmptyFolder!" && (RMDIR "!EmptyFolder!" /S /Q 2>NUL & POPD)"

...but you're setting a variable for no reason

Without changing your code at all and just removing the pointless set you've shortned the command line!

CMD /S /Q /V:ON /C "PUSHD "%ProgramFiles%\Software\temp" && (RMDIR "%ProgramFiles%\Software\temp" /S /Q 2>NUL & POPD)"

...now you could even ignore the /s and /v switches and shorten it further.

I am still failing to see the actual practical use of this command, I mean is it to be included in a batch file or - as it seems - it is intended to be typed on the command line? :unsure:

jaclaz

I use this command in a .inf file. ;)

11,,cmd.exe,,,"/Q /V:ON /C ""SET ""EmptyFolder=%ProgramFiles%\Software\temp"" & PUSHD ""!EmptyFolder!"" && (RMDIR ""!EmptyFolder!"" /S /Q 2>NUL & POPD)"""
Edited by Outbreaker