Strange fonts or characters (Opera 12.02)

Nomen

That seems more like a more "system wide" font related issue, that page renders fine in my Opera 12.15 in XP.

Possibly (but not necessarily) connected with this "font-family: "proximaNova", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; "

Typically, if you select the "strange characters", copy them and paste them in Notepad (thus striping away font info) they are readable fine.

jaclaz

So far it wasn't important for me, because only a few pages are affected. It's readable here with Opera 11.64 and 12.02, if I add some fonts of XP, but then I see boxes instead of characters elsewhere. Replacing of all ME fonts by a XP package has the same effect. I also fiddled a little bit with the fonts settings and sizes of Opera without success. Disabling "page style sheet" (Style Options) has an effect, but of course this is no workaround. 

Edited by schwups

@CharlesF

The webpages being shifted slightly top-left (out of frame) & larger 'fonts' is

mentioned here;

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/windows-xp-fonts-corrupted/183296.html

and here;

http://labnol.blogspot.com.au/2006/03/how-to-fix-windows-xp-font-problems.html

The symptoms are described and (ignoring the virus suggestion) remedies,

such as clearing the 'Font Cache'  (i.e.; C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT )

then restarting, and/or

such as merely resetting the windows default font size 'DPI setting' (Custom Setting)

(via the 'General' tab in your monitors 'Display Properties' dialog) to 75%, then

returning it back to 100% and restarting.

Unfortunately, there is no suggestion as to how to prevent the fault re-occuring.

Oddly, I have the same problem here...

@CharlesF

Nomen's post has NOTHING to do with large fonts or shifting and a lot to do with incorrect font rendering.

You have a (apparently slighter) issue which seems completely UNLIKE the one the OP asked about, compare how you can read in the screenshot you posted the text "The #1 Cloud Business Software Suite" and how the same reads (actually completely fails to) on the screenshot Nomen posted.

jaclaz

@jaclaz

lol.

I've writen: "Oddly, I have the same problem here with Opera 12.02, but not in Opera 10.63 and Opera 11.01"

and my sceenshot is called "Opera11.01.png"

that means I wanted to show that with the same Opera browser, but in a former version the bug was absent.

Nothing to do with font size actually :)

that means I wanted to show that with the same Opera browser, but in a former version the bug was absent.

Good :), then buyerninety gave you unsolicited advice, that you nonetheless wish to try :thumbup .

My bad  :blushing: , though I am in good company :) in having misunderstood your post..

jaclaz

I found out a while back when I encountered  identical issues on other websites, I had just forgotten about it, thinking initially I had fixed them with the extension I mentioned earlier. How? Can't remember but probably by checking if there were hidden fonts setting in opera:config and trying them out after finding them.

Well, support for webfonts in this version of Opera is either buggy or out of date or both so there is not much to lose by disabling the feature IMO and fall back on the substitute fonts.

In addition to this and a bunch of unicode fonts to cover most of the current unicode plane I've added to my font folder genericons.ttf, noticons.ttf, dashicons.ttf which are used by wordpress sites for icons and fontawesome.ttf which is the largest and apparently most used icons font and frankly there is not a lot of gibberish or missing characters/icons I encounter while browsing.

Perhaps there is a better solution by cooking up some userJS or userCSS  that would allow better or full support of webfonts in Opera 12.02 but don't count on me for that.

Edited by loblo