Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Anti-Malware Suggestions

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

I dropped back to Windows Defender.  See the original post in this thread.

-Noel

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,880 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

I'm curious: how is using webmail safer than using an e-mail client such as Outlook? If you click on an infected attachment, you're still in danger, no?

You are never free from danger, but for years webmail was always more secure... for a few reasons...

Most top flight webmails (gmail, yahoo, hotmail/outlook.com) are designed so that they block certain things. Images, scripts, etc. They also usually have antivirus built-in to scan attachments. They also are driven on user feedback as to what is and what isn't spam. Most will automatically filter into a junk folder where the restrictions on messages are even more severe. It will block everything except for text unless you say otherwise.

Outlook (from Office) and Outlook Express had a bad reputation when it came to security FOR YEARS. Their default behaviour was to run anything in the email itself (javascript, active-x controls, etc) once it was opened for viewing. Its another reason why Thunderbird and other such email clients got so popular... they didn't do this. The individual clients had no user-contributed checklist to filter out bad messages, phishing, virus emails, all that stuff.

Email certainly has been getting better over the years.

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,367 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Outlook (from Office) and Outlook Express had a bad reputation when it came to security FOR YEARS. Their default behaviour was to run anything in the email itself (javascript, active-x controls, etc) once it was opened for viewing.

Even worse, possibly :w00t:, if I recall correctly In some cases this happens/happened the sheer moment you highlighted/selected the mail in the inbox list as it opens/opened a pre-view and executed the whatever the mail contained.

jaclaz

• Tripredacus likes this

DosProbie

DosProbie

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,023 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

A nag from...?

Can you do a screen grab?  It's possible something's gotten into your system.  I'm not seeing anything like that.

-Noel

Well its been about 3-4 weeks since the last one but will do a screen shot the next time and post it. As far as something in my system ie malware I normally don't keep a OS for that long as I am always testing and reinstalling.

~DP

aviv00

aviv00

Windowaizer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Joined 02-April 07

putting hosts file cut down much the ads and also malware

but the best is the first u said and formatting :)

well its not hard to move the os folders to old dir and deploy windows from backup.

that with using portable apps make it easy to installing refreshed os

Edited by aviv00, 28 April 2015 - 12:54 PM.

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09

ye but be aware of portables too

many russians make crap out of them and include garbage init

If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

aviv00

aviv00

Windowaizer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Joined 02-April 07

most of the apps can be installed normally and them move to another directory and still work

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users