Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Did You Get Windows Update KB3035583 Recently

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Very likely the good MS guys will noti[fy] you before upgrading your system, but what if they don't

You have put your finger RIGHT upon the fundamental problem.

I will point out (again) that systems are by default set to automatically install updates.  How many have changed the defaults?

A grand majority of folks still implicitly trust Microsoft to do right by them.  As well they should - Microsoft has delivered a decent operating system in the past, and for not too much money.

So...  The real question that remains to be answered is, as you have aptly put it:

party-pop or a man-killing device

Microsoft seems just arrogant enough lately that it might not be the former.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC, 15 April 2015 - 11:34 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,516 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

As well they should - Microsoft has delivered a decent operating system in the past, and for not too much money.

But, still, in exchange for some amount of money.

This time the update is free (in the sense that NO money is involved) AND not free (in the sense of seemingly compulsory or at least very much, really very much, suggested/proposed/etc. if not downright forced.). .

Someone said quite some time ago "Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" :

http://en.wikipedia....t_dona_ferentes

There must be something to be learned by history, past events and classic literature, if these texts survived all these years, maybe they contain something of value....

jaclaz

MTDirector

MTDirector

• 29 posts
  • Joined 29-March 14

I have found, since this update was installed on one of my PCs, that there is 4 new entry in Task Scheduler, in \Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx, those entry launch the GWX process when someone login on the PC, I have disabled them now.

http://hpics.li/24c2d41

Edited by MTDirector, 15 April 2015 - 12:38 PM.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• 2,267 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

LOL

Beware of Geeks bearing gifts!

-Noel

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,516 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

And now, OT :w00t: :ph34r: but as always not that much ;), something that WILL NOT be likely updated :no: (to Windows 10):

http://www.theregist...cr_android_atm/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 15 April 2015 - 01:32 PM.

Glenn9999

Glenn9999

• PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Joined 23-April 07

FWIW, I'm getting a permanent icon on my notification area now about the Windows 10 upgrade (I guess designed to start on 06/01).  Basically a download scheduler for an automatic upgrade to Windows 10.  While I don't mind claiming the offline file for upgrade consideration, it looks like they might possibly be total dicks about it and claiming automatic upgrade/scheduler through this app instead of letting you just download it yourself.  We'll see though.   Screen shots to come.

Attached File  Clipboard02.jpg   8.8KB   1 downloadsAttached File  Clipboard01.jpg   2.49KB   1 downloadsAttached File  Clipboard03.jpg   54.86KB   1 downloads

GWX.EXE is the process you need to kill to rid yourself of the notification.

Edited by Glenn9999, Yesterday, 11:34 PM.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• 2,267 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

1578f4d9989d8c9448ec0a10560dc455e193b95b

-Noel

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users