Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Best antivirus/firewall for windows XP sp 3?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

OldSchool38

OldSchool38

• 48 posts
  • Joined 08-February 13

I have a couple of desktop towers right now (a homebuilt with 7 and an old dell with win2k).  However I'm working on fixing another old dell tower I was planning to put win XP sp3 on and I was wondering, I run the current version of avast on my win 7 system and avast version 7 on the 2000 tower, both of which work great-before I go installing the latest avast version on XP-is there a specific version that works best for the XP OS?

Also the last version of Comodo firewall that works for 2000 always seemed to work fine for me (I tried outpost firewall 2009-but the 'Sheilds up' site kept telling me it was leaving ports open while the old Comodo firewall didn't), the current version of Comodo firewall I have on my windows 7 system is a 200 meg monster.  Is all that really necessary or is it just bloatware?  In other words does the old version of Comodo work just fine for regular web surfing, e-mail etc?  I want good protection, but don't see the need for unecessary bloat.

Edited by OldSchool38, 06 April 2015 - 05:56 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

w2k4eva

w2k4eva
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 07-April 15
For a firewall I like an older version of Comodo, specifically 3.14.130099.587, I put this on all my builds from XP to W7. I prefer this one to any of the version 4 or 5 releases since they actually took away some features that I use and I don't like the other stuff they have added since then. Re the older one for W2k, I think it does not have the Defense+ component which is one of the things that I love about Comodo! Their site does not host any of the older releases though, so you may have to get it from an archive site such as http://www.filehippo...ad_comodo/6975/

This version is only 43MB rather than 215MB for the latest. When installing I generally uncheck the optional addons and toolbars, also uncheck the AV component. My w2k builds generally get an older version of ZA Pro (5.5) since I have a multipack of licenses for that.

For AV I have been using Avast 6 (not that 7 is bad, I just prefer 6), but avoid the behavior shield and sandbox features, also I don't care for the web reputation plugin or google chrome but these are not too hard to turn off. (The trick to installing it is to first adjust your system time/date to December 2011 beforehand, enter a license key, then adjust the date back to the present.) At least with AV there are quite a few to choose from. I wasn't going to use the too-heavy features they have been emphasizing in the newer releases - virtualization is just too much for an older system to support, they don't have the RAM to go there.

I picked Avast based on what is NOT in the user license agreement - the others I looked at had too many objectionable items for me. I do not want software that claims the right to arbitrarily grab files off my hard drive and send them home without asking or even informing me, and that item was in all the other EULAs I looked at.

OldSchool38

OldSchool38

• 48 posts
  • Joined 08-February 13

Just tried the version of Comodo suggested-great stuff!  Checked it out on the 'Shields Up' website and it appears to offer the same level of protection that the newest version does at 1/4 the size!  Thanks! :thumbup

w2k4eva

w2k4eva
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 07-April 15

Not that I actually do all the stuff in these links (I like my own setup better), but if you are into "lite" these might be an interesting read:

https://forums.comod...s-t74633.0.html

http://www.wildersse...ailable.263940/

Mcinwwl

Mcinwwl
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 12-April 15

Yep Comodo can be reccomended. While versions 6 and 7 caused my XP to crash, I still use Firewall and Defense+ from version 5. I used AV as well, until I encountered update prblems, as described here:

https://forums.comod...e-t88447.0.html

You must be aware that some people disreccomend Comodo due to their EULA.

Additionally to Comodo FW/D+ I have Avira AV Free (best accuracy according to latest AV Comparatives test), Malwarebytes nti-Malware as on-demand scanner (from time to time), and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit as additional paranoid protection (easy to use, almost install-and-forget)

Hope I helped a bit :>

OldSchool38

OldSchool38

• 48 posts
  • Joined 08-February 13

Thanks for the info, btw I just found out today that Comodo 3.14.130099.587 will also work on Windows 2003 server standard Sp2!  I was reinstalling it on another computer of mine (a dell 330) and it works great!

Edited by OldSchool38, 23 April 2015 - 07:06 PM.

DAEMONXX

DAEMONXX
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 15-April 10

Best FW for XP is Sygate personal firewall (PRO)5.5.2710(latest stable)

-very old, but better than other newer, minimal system requirements, well configurable, no call home...

albator

albator

Nlite Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Joined 18-August 04

A basic up to date firewall compatible with xp is privatefirewall. It's the best from all the firewall I have tested and it's free.

NTlite supporter

sanszajnrege

sanszajnrege

• 10 posts
  • Joined 17-February 15

I'm using norton internet security 2009 and I'm fine with it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users