Classic Shell 4.2.1 Has Been Released

NoelC

Here’s what’s new:
  • Improved support for Windows 10
  • The start menu searches modern PC settings for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10
  • Added new Midnight skin with dark background
  • Added new flat Metro skin that uses the start screen colors
  • New ability to apply settings from XML files from command line: use ClassicStartMenu.exe -xml <settings file>
  • New setting to override the system DPI resolution only for the start menu
  • New setting to change the user picture
  • Improved support for touch and high resolution displays
  • Added support for Scottish, Catalan, Macedonian and Persian languages
  • Multiple minor improvements and bugfixes

The new version can be downloaded from the home page http://www.classicshell.net

Strange, I have Classic Shell installed on two Windows 8.1 machines, and on neither of them has it prompted me for an update.

Brilliant program, one of those that's so good that you can't believe that it's actually free!

It's the only thing that makes Windows 8/8.1 usable as far as I'm concerned.

I'll apply the update manually.

:)

Automatic update of the new version will be rolled out as always after a couple of weeks after release so any bugs despite comprehensive testing that may not have been detected can be fixed.

Automatic update of the new version will be rolled out as always after a couple of weeks after release so any bugs despite comprehensive testing that may not have been detected can be fixed.

Ah, that explains it!

I tried a manual search for updates and that didn't work either, so I just downloaded the installer for 4.2.1 and installed it manually.

It seems fine. A bit odd to not have triggered the automatic update detection when the new version is already being offered as the current version to new users!

:unsure:

Edited by Dave-H

I'm not critical of your comment at all, Dave, but I wonder whether it might be an indication that companies like Microsoft and others doing "ridiculously quick release cycles" are changing "the new normal" to be one in which poor quality software is sent out to the world the second the engineers are done with it, without being quite sure of what it does.  It's a bad trend.

Frankly my hat's off to Ivo for being quality-conscious and rolling out the new Classic Shell version out conservatively.

Sure, some folks are anxious to get new stuff (hence my post), but the stuff has to be actually good too for the general user population, and when it's really complex it just takes time to be sure of that.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

A bit odd to not have triggered the automatic update detection when the new version is already being offered as the current version to new users!

:unsure:

Well you know, geeks hanging out at computer forums and staying in touch with tech news are likely to notice the new release, download it, test it and since they're geeks, they'll be more comprehensively using/testing it. When the download server starts getting hammered with 10,00,000 downloads per month once the auto update is rolled out, we don't want any big regression or bug to affect that many users. :)

• 2 months later...

New Classic Shell 4.2.2 is here:

● Improved support for Windows 10
● New ability to save settings to XML files from command line: http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#install_xml
● New skin features, including Aero Glass for Windows 10, shadows for the text and fractional font sizes like 9.5
● New setting to align the custom start button to the corner instead of the middle of the taskbar
● Multiple minor improvements and bugfixes

Hell, I thought from xpclient's post that 4.2.2 was a release, not a beta!

He should really have said that it was only a beta rather than implying that it was a new release version.

I don't normally ever install betas unless there's a good reason to.

I guess I'll roll back to 4.2.1.

:)

Edited by Dave-H