Win7 router config page - no access

Luxman

Hi everyone.

I recently obtained a Zyxel router from my isp. I have a dual boot setup; with XP I have no problem accessing the config settings page - however, on Win7, my primary use drive, I am unable to access the config page. In 7, when I log in, I am brought back to the original router network map page, over and over again:

In 7 I have 3 browsers; IE9. FF, & Chromium. In XP I have only IE8 installed. So, the fact that in 7, with 3 browsers unable to access the config page, does this not imply there is a related reason for this?

I really don't have a clue how to even begin to resolve this but I know there are many brilliant people on this board so I'm hoping someone can help me find the 'bug' in Win7 that will allow me to actually use this router.

Many thanks. 

Edited by Luxman

I have doubts that it is directly related to the OS. I wonder what web technologies the internal server is using.... CGI? Java? Maybe they use some hack that IE8 can use but newer (more updated) browsers do not? Many ways to approach it.

You can look here (if it is the same model you have)

ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/VSG1432-B101/support_note/VSG1432-B101_1.0.pdf

On (PDF) page 12, it shows how you can use telnet to configure it.

I can't comment on your doubts about a settting in 7 being the culprit, but I can tell you for certain that it would appear I am the only person with this problem. I have searched far and wide on the net and there is not one single posting that mirrors my problem.

The pdf link model appears to be different to what I have, and I don't know anything about telnet, so I don't know if this would help me as my only objective in the router configuration is to open ports.

Thank you for your reply, though, Tripredacus.

I can't comment on your doubts about a settting in 7 being the culprit, but I can tell you for certain that it would appear I am the only person with this problem. I have searched far and wide on the net and there is not one single posting that mirrors my problem.

The pdf link model appears to be different to what I have, and I don't know anything about telnet, so I don't know if this would help me as my only objective in the router configuration is to open ports.

Thank you for your reply, though, Tripredacus.

To clarify, telnet is the "real thing", just like command line is often the simple, plain way, in which you can usually do more than in a GUI.

Most routers/modems for the "end user" have embedded a sort of "web site" that may make use (as opposed to "plain" html), a whole set of technologies (as Trip mentioned CGI, or javascript, etc.) that may (or may not) be compatible with a given browser or with a given browser on a given OS.

Given that you have issues in Windows 7 with three different browsers I doubt that it is a specific browser issue and it is more likely that it is a "systemwide" and "OS specific" kind of issue (as an example a particular antivirus or antimalware or the built-in firewall, or some other OS program or setting).

Since it would be foolish to attempt installing the IE8 (that is working on your XP) to the Windows 7, what you can try is to use a PORTABLE version of a browser and test this portable version under the two OS.

Specifically I would suggest you to ty the good ol' Opera@USB version 1217:

http://www.opera-usb.com/operausben.htm

as it is small and simple enough and should be able to work on both systems just fine, without altering anything of your installed browsers.

Even simpler (as a test) I would also try the OB1 browser, since it is the most basic one you can find, if you see it not working (on the XP OS) it should mean that that Zixel thingy uses one of the non-plain-html technologies:

http://offbyone.com/offbyone/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hi jaclaz, and thanks for your help.

The problem has been solved.

Your suggestion to try another browser (portable) was something I had thought about a few days ago, and today I actually did try Moz Firebird (yes, 12 years old). That was only partially successful, as I could access the config pages but some of the sub menus wouldn't render, so back to square one. But it did prove that indeed it was a browser issue. 

So, from years ago I remembered using a Gecko based browser called K-Meleon. Alas, after trying two difference builds, the latest version works (almost) like a charm.  :w00t:

Many thanks for both replies.  :thumbup

Edited by Luxman