Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to avoid being "upgraded to Win 10" against your will:

• Please log in to reply
401 replies to this topic

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Double check the list at the top.

After that, I'd only suggest even considering the ones that say "Security", and only if they're well-documented.  Always remember, it's Microsoft's programmers we're talking about.  These are the same folks who brought us Windows 10 and who are working to shoehorn malware in via Windows Update.  They are not to be implicitly trusted!

Consider Woody Leonhard's advice here:  http://www.askwoody.com/

MS-DEFCON 2:  Patch reliability is unclear.  Unless you have an immediate, pressing need to install a specific patch, don't do it.

-Noel

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

glnz

glnz

• PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Joined 25-January 11

All -

In my wife's mini-office with two Win 7 Pro 64-bit machines, I've been fairly vigilant the last few months about NOT installing recent non-security updates.  However, both machines have the following updates from a while back, and I'm concerned that if I UNinstall them now I'll cause issues:

2952664 (listed four times in the View Updates list in each machine)

One more fact - the machines do NOT have GWX folders, thanks to my other UNinstalls.

In your experience, if I UNinstall the above five now, after many months have passed, what might happen?

Thanks.

Edited by glnz, Today, 11:04 AM.

glnz      old Dell Optiplex 755DT XP Pro SP3 (4GB RAM) and new Optiplex 7010MT dual-booting Win7 Pro 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit (16GB RAM)

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users