How to avoid being "upgraded to Win 10" against your will:

dencorso

That can be helped: create a batch file that checks that, say, once per hour, and puts a bright red icon in the notification area (tray), in case it actually finds that. :)

In what regards actually providing the icon in tray, this should do nicely.

Good idea.  So everyone takes 5 minutes to download and install that.  At least it slows the ongoing worldwide productivity reduction.  Until the icon shows up, then it's a couple of hours downtime...

-Noel

• 3 weeks later...

KB3035583 popped up again on my Win7 machine today, as an "Important" update.

This is after declining and hiding the update.

One true statement in the KB article:

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.

BTW, what exactly is the "problem" that KB3035583 proposes to fix on a well-working Windows 7 system? :angel

--JorgeA

BTW, what exactly is the "problem" that KB3035583 proposes to fix on a well-working Windows 7 system?  :angel

--JorgeA

The "problem" is that you haven't yet rushed to install Windows 10 I would imagine!

:lol:

Hmmm... I wonder if this is why my Bro is running out of space on his computer? Guess I'd better get the list to him and have him check his HDD and ask "Do you *really* want this stuff? Better be prepared to do that Dell Restore again..."

KB3035583 popped up again on my Win7 machine today, as an "Important" update.

This is after declining and hiding the update.

And after a reboot, KB3035583 popped up YET AGAIN.

What total disregard for customers' choices. How many times do we have to say NO?  :realmad:

--JorgeA

What total disregard for customers' choices. How many times do we have to say NO?  :realmad:

It depends on how you look at it: after all, one needs to say "YES" just once... :P

It depends on how you look at it: after all, one needs to say "YES" just once... :P

Sounds like the plot to a bad sci-fi movie: if you enter through that portal, you can never come back into the here and now, or perhaps you might succeed in coming back after a long and perilous adventure.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

And now KB2952664 has reappeared yet again, as an optional update.

In adddition, there's a new mysterious KB3083710. The "About this update" description is so vague, it's laughable.

Any more, updates billed as an "update client" are suspect in my book.

--JorgeA

EDIT: While researching this last update, I came across the following comment:

I can't tell if kb3083710 is ok to install.

I now feel safer and more clear about what to do while dealing with bundled adware installers that try to trick you to install junk, than I do dealing with Windows Update.

Sad, but realistic.

Edited by JorgeA