Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to avoid being "upgraded to Win 10" against your will:

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,013 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

[...] It's already done, can't y'all see it? People have accepted a reservation for 10, already. But most peolple are on automatic updates. All MS has to do is just push 10 onto everyone who is on automatic updates and reserved 10. Afterwards, if push comes to shove they can always say: "Oops! Sorry! We regret we misunderstood what you really wanted. But... so deeply sorry yet again: it's irreversible! And your current licence doesn't allow for downgrading either... Oh, well!

But I can concoct a more optimistic view, albeit less optmistic than yours: while keeping the numbers of XP, Vista and Win 8.0 about unchanged, let's admit reservation for 7 and 8.1+ was purely random (which surely is not true, but let's suspend disbelief)... if so, half the 7 and half the 8.1+ become 10... that, using the numbers from my original post about this, means, at the very least, 37% Win 10 overnight, which is much more than 8.1+ and 8.0 ever reached, even if considered together! I remain appalled at the sheer crooked brilliancy of it! In summary: "when you cannot seduce 'em anymore, well... simply con 'em!"

The more I read, the more a reflect on it, more sure I get about my forecast: Win 10 will have 35-40% of the user share when the numbers for August get released. Soon we'll know whether I'm right or not. And none of this through real product improving and added value!

Attached Files

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Not even just a lack of added value, but destroyed value.

Evil genius at work.

-Noel

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,092 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Indeed, they'll be able to trumpet how successful Windows 10 has been, but it'll mainly have been because they pushed it out for free, not only to Windows 8/8.1 users, but to Windows 7 users as well!

I do wonder how much potential revenue MS have lost and will lose through not charging existing Windows 8 users for Window 8.1, or Windows 7 and 8/8.1 users for Windows 10. The latter is far more major of course because of the huge number of Windows 7 installations out there.

Whatever they said, I don't consider 8.1 to have been a completely new operating system. As its name implied, it looked much more like a service pack for Windows 8 to address some of its many shortcomings!

I suppose offering free upgrades is worth it to them to maintain their dominant market share.

:)

Edited by Dave-H, 24 July 2015 - 05:19 AM.

Triple boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a, Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit, and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Dual graphics cards ATI Radeon X850 and Nvidia Geforce 210. 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

Radish

Radish

• 31 posts
  • Joined 11-May 15

Just read an interesting thread on another forum started by someone that wants Windows 10 but was bewailing the fact that he isn't getting the GWX tray icon showing up. Seems he installed all the updates that would get him Windows 10 but still no GWX tray icon. Seems that he was in line for the 'upgrade' but had to look in the following location to confirm for himself:

look in task scheduler > Library > Windows > setup > GWX if the tasks are active

The information might be of use to some who don't want the 'upgrade' but are wondering if they are still in line for it even though the GWX thingy isn't showing in the tray.

• dencorso likes this

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 10,098 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

An unfortunate scenario has come to light. Say you had chosen to reserve Windows 10 at some point in the past. Say you are seeing all the negative reactions about Windows 10 and want to wait a while before upgrade or maybe you changed your mind and don't want it. Well guess what? TOO BAD!

A user on another forum has found this out the hard way. I would consider it "being upgraded against your will" although not exactly the same as this topic.

Here is what his computer now says...

win10bs_zpsi1jlrhze.jpg

:(

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,092 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

I assume the guy had automatic Windows Updates turned on.

It's downloaded the Windows 10 update, and when he re-starts it will install it, and it's probably already gone too far with the installation process for it to be aborted without potentially hosing the whole system.

I'm keeping Windows Update in the "inform me but don't automatically download or install" mode, as I always do.

I'm going to let it do its thing on my netbook when the time comes, but if I don't like the result I won't let it anywhere near my main machine!

:)

Triple boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a, Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit, and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Dual graphics cards ATI Radeon X850 and Nvidia Geforce 210. 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

helpdesk98

helpdesk98

Richie614a

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Indeed, they'll be able to trumpet how successful Windows 10 has been, but it'll mainly have been because they pushed it out for free, not only to Windows 8/8.1 users, but to Windows 7 users as well!

It will be kinda like Google Plus when they made everyone who had a Youtube account sign up for a G+ account so they could post comment ect on Youtube.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

An unfortunate scenario has come to light. Say you had chosen to reserve Windows 10 at some point in the past. Say you are seeing all the negative reactions about Windows 10 and want to wait a while before upgrade or maybe you changed your mind and don't want it. Well guess what? TOO BAD!

Somewhere around here, back a couple of months ago when "reserving" first came out, I posted my thoughts about it.  There have been those who pooh poohed the idea that they were giving unconditional permission to Microsoft to install the OS, thinking, "it's MY computer, of course I'll be asked to confirm when the time comes".  Yeah, right.

Hard not to be critical of both Microsoft AND the naïve, overly trusting user in that case.

-Noel

DosProbie

DosProbie

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,033 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Here is a batch script to "Stop the Windows 10 Upgrade Nag"

credit: http://www.intelliadmin.com/

~DP

Echo off
:: Notes: Stop 10 Nag.cmd - Right-Click and Run as admin..

:: Remove the "Get Windows Now" folder from update if found..
taskkill.exe /F /IM "gwx.exe"
takeown /a /r /skipsl /d Y /f "%windir%\System32\GWX" && icacls "%windir%\System32\GWX" /grant administrators:F
robocopy "%windir%\System32\GWX" "%windir%\System32\GWX_Old" /E
rmdir /s /q "%windir%\System32\GWX"

:: Disable "Get Windows 10 Upgrade Nag" message..
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx /v DisableGwx /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,013 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Just in case, please do read from this post up to here. Then read post #1 again and decide what to do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users