Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to avoid being "upgraded to Win 10" against your will:

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 16,047 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I guess so. Ah for the days of XP. I'd just move stuff and reformat.

Ah, the good days of NT 4.00, no need to move stuff nor to reformat... :whistle:

jaclaz

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Odos270

Odos270

• 13 posts
  • Joined 01-September 15

Well, it's going to do it. All that I've done is to no avail. I just got a popup notice that it was ready to install. *&%# you Microsoft.

To error is human. To really #&^@ it up takes a computer.

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,073 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Remove all the updates indicated in post #1, and remove, if present, the folder Dave-H indicated, then reboot and hide those selfsame updates.

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,122 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

From my first hand experience with actually doing the update (which I quickly undid!) "ready to install" actually means ready to download and install.

I doubt if the files are already on the machine, especially if the C:\$WINDOWS.~BT isn't present.

It's around a 2GB download for the upgrade from Windows 8.1, probably more if it's a Windows 7 machine.

It's certainly not going to happen suddenly, it took ages when i did it.

:)

Edited by Dave-H, Yesterday, 05:10 AM.

Triple boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a, Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit, and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Dual graphics cards ATI Radeon X850 and Nvidia Geforce 210. 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

Odos270

Odos270

• 13 posts
  • Joined 01-September 15

Well, now there is a BT folder. I took ownership of the folder and all sub-folders and files. Even so, there are multiple files that I can't delete. My account is administrator. I don't see the WS folder.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 16,047 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Well, now there is a BT folder. I took ownership of the folder and all sub-folders and files. Even so, there are multiple files that I can't delete. My account is administrator. I don't see the WS folder.

Does this happen because of lack of permission or because any file is "in use"?

Maybe you need to further elevate to "TrustedInstaller" to get rid of some of them from the "online" system :unsure: :

http://www.msfn.org/...ustedinstaller/

http://www.msfn.org/...ustedinstaller/

http://vorck.com/windows/ntauth.html

or boot to a PE and see if you can delete the whole stuff when "offline" (and as "System").

jaclaz

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,122 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

When I deleted that folder on my friend's machine, I seem to remember that I had to do some of the folders separately, taking ownership of them and their contents and then giving myself full control over them.

It was a very tedious process, but I got them all eventually!

Triple boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a, Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit, and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Dual graphics cards ATI Radeon X850 and Nvidia Geforce 210. 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

Odos270

Odos270

• 13 posts
  • Joined 01-September 15

When I deleted that folder on my friend's machine, I seem to remember that I had to do some of the folders separately, taking ownership of them and their contents and then giving myself full control over them.

It was a very tedious process, but I got them all eventually!

I've started that. But, I have to take ownership of each file. Then folder. That's going to take hours upon hours. Isn't there a simpler way?  Other than beating my hard drive flat with a hammer?

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

I've started that. But, I have to take ownership of each file. Then folder. That's going to take hours upon hours. Isn't there a simpler way?  Other than beating my hard drive flat with a hammer?

Take ownership of the parent folder and look for the checkboxes to include subfolders and files.  Then set the permissions so that your username has full control.

-Noel

Odos270

Odos270

• 13 posts
  • Joined 01-September 15

Already tried that. It doesn't work. This is what I get.

BT.jpg

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,122 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

I certainly didn't have to do it one file at a time, but I did have to start with the sub-folders and work my way up to the top.

If you get the error message, just go one more level down and try deleting the individual folders at that level.

As Noel says, make sure that you have the checkmarks ticked to inherit permissions down the chain.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• 2,965 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

From my perspective that does not happen, as I have disabled UAC entirely (policy change or EnableLUA registry mod required) and my account is always a full-time Administrator.  I have never seen a "Change" ownership operation fail like that.

It never ceases to amaze me how Microsoft strives to take control of people's own computers away from them.

Can you at least start by renaming the $Windows.~BT folder to something else?

-Noel

Odos270

Odos270

• 13 posts
  • Joined 01-September 15

I pretty much had to start at the bottom and work my way up. What a royal PIA. I'm not fond of UAC either. OK, now that that's done, YAY. Even though it says to update and reboot, is it ok to do?

Also, thanks everyone for the help.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,802 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
I'm just waiting for whole countries to ban ten like they did with eight

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,122 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

I pretty much had to start at the bottom and work my way up. What a royal PIA. I'm not fond of UAC either. OK, now that that's done, YAY. Even though it says to update and reboot, is it ok to do?

Also, thanks everyone for the help.

Glad you got there!

:thumbup

There should be no danger of Windows 10 installing now as you've trashed its installation files.

If Windows Update is still prompting about it, try running the Windows Update Troubleshooter if you haven't already, that should reset everything.

You will lose your update history.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• 2,965 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

*#&%$@!!!!

This "keep up with the updates" BS is starting to really cheese me off!!

Today we see another update to Windows Update:  

KB3083325

Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: September 2015

I *just* got my firewall setup straight to allow Windows Updates and block everything else.

I was thinking that keeping up with Microsoft's Windows Update patches might be a good thing, but by gosh since it's Optional I think I'm just going to hold off on this one.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC, Yesterday, 04:18 PM.

Odos270

Odos270

• 13 posts
  • Joined 01-September 15

It worked! I hid all the aplicable updates for 10. I also set Update to notify and NOT install. The only updates that I installed were for NET Framework. I didn't install any of the optional updates.

• dencorso likes this

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,122 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Great to hear, glad it's all OK now.

Cheers, Dave.

Odos270

Odos270

• 13 posts
  • Joined 01-September 15

Thanks again everybody. :thumbup

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,073 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

*#&%$@!!!!

This "keep up with the updates" BS is starting to really cheese me off!!

Today we see another update to Windows Update:  

KB3083325

Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: September 2015

It's got a sister: KB3083324 - Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: September 2015

*#&%$@!!!!, indeed! :D

BTW, the 1st post has been updated, of course. :yes:

25 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 23 guests, 1 anonymous users

jaclaz