Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

What's the deal with XP and bluetooth?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Nomen

Nomen

• PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 07-July 12
I picked up a cheap bluetooth speaker recently (Memorex MW212 Bluetooth speaker) for $20. Details can be found here: http://support.memor...-MW-xxxx/MW212/

My intention is to use it with a Windoze 7 netbook (which I still have to buy a bluetooth dongle for) but for now, just to test it, I thought I'd try a more accessible XP system.

I have an AIRcable Host XR2 USB Bluetooth Dongle (a long-range bluetooth adapter about the size of a deck of cards). After connecting the dongle, Under Device Manager I have Generic Bluetooth radio and Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator, and a Bluetooth icon in the tray, which (after pairing with the Memorex speaker) that it sees the MW212 - with passkey enabled.

If I bring up the Memorex MW212 Properties:

General tab:
Type of device: Headset (audio device)
Address: (bunch of hex values)
Last connected: (a few minutes ago)
Connection: Passkey enabled)

-------------
Services tab:
(flashlight is searching for a few seconds)
This Bluetooth device offers the following services. To use a service, select the check box.
-------------

Except there is nothing that appears in the window below the above instructions. What do I need, or what am I missing, to give XP the ability to actually use these speakers beyond simply being able to pair with them?

Does XP have the same problem with bluetooth devices that Win-98 did with USB thumb drives before Maxim Decim USB thingy?

Does XP (and every other version of windoze) require device-specific drivers for common classes of bluetooth devices (such as speakers) ? Or would win-7 have some special, magical ability to play audio through these speakers (but XP doesn't) ?

Would any of this be a function of the bluetooth stack - and maybe fishing around for a different stack would enable XP to use these speakers?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,332 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

Are you unable to select the device in the "Control Panel" --> "Sounds and Audio Devices" --> Audio tab?

Nomen

Nomen

• PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 07-July 12
I clicked on the speaker in the tray and brought up the audio control panel (or what-ever it is) and looked to see if there was another available audio device - and there didn't seem to be. But I think there's supposed to be a service in the bluetooth device properties for me to select, except the service list was empty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users