Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Too High Disk Usage because of ntoskrnl.exe

kernel windows 8 disk

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Emvy

Emvy
  • 2 posts
  • Joined Yesterday, 11:43 PM

I've been having this problem since we bought the laptop. I expected better result since we bought a Quadcore 3.0ghz AMD A8, R7 M265 2GB VRAM. But every game game we play it feels like we bought a low end. The FPS won't stop dropping sometimes into a complete halt. Task manager states 100% Disk usage. Can anyone help me?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,161 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

nice to see that you were able to register here. I checked the file and the disk IO comes from accessing the pagefile (F:\pagefile.sys). Windows seems to have low free RAM (you only have 4GB RAM and the GPU seems to use 768MB so Windows has one 3.25GB to use, which is low for a 64Bit Windows) and writes data to the pagefile (ntoskrnl.exe!MiModifiedPageWriter, ntoskrnl.exe!MiGatherPagefilePages):

diskIO.png

I see you run Chrome when playing the game. Chrome is a RAM "waster". So close it and other useless programs like TuneUp before playing the game.

Posted Image

Emvy

Emvy
  • 2 posts
  • Joined Yesterday, 11:43 PM

That's odd. Since the AMD CPU says that they have 1GB built in GPU, the laptop also has 2GB dedicated VRAM. Adding that to the 4GB RAM shouldn't that be more than enough? My PC has 2 GB of VRAM and 4GB RAM and it works perfectly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kernel, windows 8, disk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users