Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

I Need to Install Win 7 Ultimate Afresh

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

I'm replacing an old system for which I bought Win 7 Ultimate and installed it back in 2009.  I still have the original installation disc and the product code that came with it.

The system has since burned out and I have bought a new one.

Of course I could install from the original disc and go through the zillion updates that have been released in the lifetime of Win 7, including the Service Pack, but...  It would be nice if I can just install from a Win 7 Ultimate SP1 ISO (which I have).

Should I expect problems (installing Win 7 SP1 media with an original Win 7 retail product code), and should I just install from the original media (which I'll have to transfer to a USB)?

I'm assuming I'll have to ask Microsoft to allow the (re)activation because the hardware's different.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC, Today, 11:28 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,483 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Install from the latest ISO without entering the key (skip it, it will use the trial one), then use "slmgr.vbs -ipk" (append the original key), then Activate it. I doubt you'll get much hassle from MS during Activation, but if you do just call and explain.

BTW, be sure you have the latest *Ultimate* iso.

Get all the updates via Windows Update Downloader en-mass and use a script to install them (the script is floating arounde here).

HTH

edit - Slipstream all (slip-able) WUD files into the INSTALL.WIM. See this post:

http://www.msfn.org/...e/#entry1098207

Edited by submix8c, Today, 04:43 PM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users