Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Parition table problem

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

sdt

sdt

• 35 posts
  • Joined 13-April 13

Hi guys

i was using one of the paritioning softwares and  i ended up with the parition table as given in the attached pic.

is there an easy way to fix the partition table by removing the "unpartitioned space" fictitious labels in the table between e and f drives?

http://imgur.com/Yg0ITZw

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,367 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Yes/No.

They are not "fictitious labels" they are a representation of the situation your hard disk is at the moment.

Depending on specifically which partitioning software you used and what exactly you did with it, it may be possible to:

• recover the previous partitioning and volumes/data in them as if nothing happened
  • recover the data only (but all the data)
  • recover the data only (and only partial data)
  • recover nothing

The reference tool to analyze your situation is TESTDISK, that you may get here:

http://www.cgsecurit...g/wiki/TestDisk

Do take some time on the basic instructions:

http://www.cgsecurit...sk_Step_By_Step

then run it , making sure to create the log, DO NOT change anything and post the log for review.

Besides the above, the more you remember about the previous partitioning scheme and you provide, the better.

jaclaz 

sdt

sdt

• 35 posts
  • Joined 13-April 13

im using this drive at the moment as the main drive (booting from) and the data parititon table etc. is intact. these entries show only in the XP textmode setup and not in the OS(7/XP) or anywhere else. thats why i thought these were just fictitious labels... just see the size of one 4294644177 MB while the hard drive in total is 500 GB!

Edited by sdt, Today, 01:02 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,367 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

And again they are not "fictitious" labels they are what the tool at hand "sees" the current situation.

The specific XP setup may well have been not enabled for LargeLBA, if the question has now changed to:

I have a drive that is normally partitioned and working (and I verified each and every partition/volume to be correct by using tools X and Y[1] ) but XP setup (and only XP Setup) sees the partitions in a queer way, why may this happen?

jaclaz

[1] Only for the record, for this kind of checks both Disk Manager and Diskpart are not suitable tools.

Edited by jaclaz, Today, 01:27 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

sdt