A question about a sticker...

Now forgive me here, but I have a genuine question, about a sticker no less.

designedfor-XPx64.jpg

This is from the XP x64 post-mortem updates website that I find to be absolutely excellent.

Is that a real case badge?

I'd like to obtain one somehow to put on my Core i5 laptop, just for novelty value, but I can't find any on eBay, and I can't even find any photos of one on Google. But I think that the search results may have been skewed. I got nothing but images of blank COAs...

Edited by MrMaguire

Yes it is real. Hardware manufacturers had access to them for when they put a particular system configuration/hardware/software through the Windows Logo Program. If the system, hardware or software passed the program, the manufacturer was given the labels to affix on products for sale.

https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/logo_testing.mspx?mfr=true

They were made in XP, XPx64 and XP/XPx64 varieties. They are an aluminum (or some other metal) label. I have found, through searching, that there are some for sale on one website, however I am not certain if they are legit, heat removed, or if they are repros. I used these search terms and went to Google Images.

designed Xp x64 badge
There may be cases where Logo certified products in retail packaging have included the label on its own, similar to how if you buy a retail Intel CPU it comes with the CPU case badge, or AOpen products include a Powered by AOpen label.

Now forgive me here, but I have a genuine question, about a sticker no less.

designedfor-XPx64.jpg

This is from the XP x64 post-mortem updates website that I find to be absolutely excellent.

Is that a real case badge?

I'd like to obtain one somehow to put on my Core i5 laptop, just for novelty value, but I can't find any on eBay, and I can't even find any photos of one on Google. But I think that the search results may have been skewed. I got nothing but images of blank COAs...

I have one on my xw8200 HP Workstation, and it says designed for XP and XP 64-bit Edition.

I'm sorry Dencorso, I just checked again and it appears that I've lied (doh!).  It says Designed for XP, and in white on Black, the bottom half says "Vista Capable", which must be true because it's running that right now. :)

I was reading this topic last week and decided to hunt around for some XP replacement stickers ... I have three IBM Thinkpad notebooks ... one T41 and two T42s ... only one T42 had stickers still in place ... the XP sticker and a "Pentium M" sticker.

The T42 notebook that has all the stickers in place was like new when I bought it used ... I made the call at the right time I guess and he had this one for sale.

Anyway, I was interested in putting replacement stickers on the other two Thinkpads but never persued the idea till I read this thread.

I ordered stickers from eBay ... they look genuine but I don't know if the XP sticker will be the "metal" type. There seem to be two different "Pentiun M" stickers ... The sicker still on my good T42 has a yellow "M" and I found these stickers from Hong Kong.

The stickers seem reasonable and look real in the photos ... I will find out soon, I guess.

Just wanted to have the stickers back on, if possible ... the computers are not scratched at all, whoever removed the old stickers was careful when they did it ... I can see a slightly darker area where the XP sticker had been. The stickers look exactly like the stickers still on my one T42 Thinkpad.

I only post the eBay ads for the pictures. I did buy the XP stickers from this dealer ... he was the only one I could find selling the exact XP sticker that I needed. I bought two after making an offer.

Windows XP Sticker 17 x 25.5mm (Designed for Windows XP) Case Badge Logo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-XP-Sticker-17-x-25-5mm-Designed-for-Windows-XP-Case-Badge-Logo/261841229351?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29005%26meid%3D7392e7e24cd145508124ab75dc141232%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D271571843864

I bought five Pentium M stickers from a dealer in Hong Kong ... buying just one or two almost as expensive as buying five ... I have a few spares in case I mess up a couple when applying them.

Did not buy from this seller ... same pictures with the yellow looking "M" ... maybe it could be the same seller that also had an ad for five stickers, not sure ... didn't check my eBay order.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-intel-Pentium-M-Sticker-16mm-x-21mm-/251118208229

I didn't look far enough down the page ... this is the seller I bought the five Pentium M stickers from with Free Shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pcs-intel-Pentium-M-Sticker-16mm-x-21mm/251118207541?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Dd9251161a7e1413fa48c96cfbb1843c4%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D251118208229&rt=nc

Edited by monroe

Well I had two processors (both Xeon 3.66 GHZ Netburst/P4 style).  My RAM is slower (DDR2/400 MHz) but I had 4 GB (which I upgraded to 7 GB).  I know that thE RTM release of Vista didn't support my slower SATA bus, but I guess SP2 must've fixed that.  So rather than me tweaking things to work, I wonder if time and updates resolved the issue.

So rather than me tweaking things to work, I wonder if time and updates resolved the issue.

You sure can put it that way: Vista RTM was awful,  :puke:  but Vista SP2 is probably just as good as 7 SP1, only lighter and faster.. :yes:

Of course, a lot of people may disagree with me about this, but, then again, I'm already used to it, by now. :)