Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Skype 3.8.0.188 for Windows 98/ME

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

oerg866

oerg866

Junior

• Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 02-June 10

Skype98.PNG

Skype 3.8.0.188 for Windows 98 / ME

Installer package created by Oerg866

(C) Skype Technologies SA
(C) Microsoft Corporation

All rights belong to Microsoft Corporation.
Original modified Skype 3.8 version by Vilko

PLEASE NOTE: After starting Skype for the first time, it may take a few minutes to load the contact list and you may get an error message about your internet connection. This is normal, don't worry.

This package was created to give people a chance to connect to the Skype network from old Operating Systems like Windows 98, 98SE and ME.

It does not intend to undermine Microsoft Corporation's authority over their Skype service and exists purely for experimental and nostalgic purposes.

tl;dr please don't sue me ;_;

DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES TO YOUR COMPUTER(S) AND/OR SKYPE ACCOUNT(S) AND ANY OTHER THINGS THAT GO WRONG

tl;dr please don't sue me either ;_;

Download

Edited by oerg866, 10 May 2015 - 11:35 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

trevor89

trevor89

Goldfinger64 Dev

• Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 31-December 08
What does 3.8 do that the latest 9x one does?
Does it allow Microsoft ID usage?

If not I dont see the point.

Trev

Edit: I just found out that Skype 3.8.118 IS the last official supported version... so What does your version bring?

Edited by trevor89, 11 May 2015 - 12:28 PM.

Posted Image

oerg866

oerg866

Junior

• Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 02-June 10
The regular skype verisons prior to 6.2 do not allow you to log in. This one does.

I should clarify:

Vilko managed to reverse engineer and modify the older skype versions to the point where they would run and connect - but not on Windows 98.

I made necessary changes for Windows 98 such as removing the portable launcher that doesn't even work with kernelex and packaging it.

Edited by oerg866, 11 May 2015 - 07:43 PM.

trevor89

trevor89

Goldfinger64 Dev

• Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 31-December 08
Ah, ok, so the official builds of Skype have all been dissabled but this has been 'unlocked'.

Pitty it didnt allow messenger ID to be used. I used Messenger 7.0.820.0 right up till the day it stopped working (sometime last year)

I also tried 7.1, whiched worked with KEX but obviously wanted to upgrade to 2013 (wouldnt log in without doing so) and then broke.

Now Im confined to my phone for IM Conversaions.

Trev
Posted Image

oerg866

oerg866

Junior

• Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 02-June 10
You can use Outlook's online interface ;)

trevor89

trevor89

Goldfinger64 Dev

• Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 31-December 08
I did that once a long time ago, and did think about that last week, however when I tried it wouldnt load...

How do you get it to load?

Trev
Posted Image

Nomen

Nomen

• PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Joined 07-July 12
I downloaded and installed the skype package created by Oerg866, and it is working on my win-98 system with kex. I was able to create a new skype account and send a contact request to someone and it was accepted and I can conduct a skype chat session with them. However, regardless if I try a call to the contact or to the skype test account, I get a message (in big red letters) PROBLEM WITH PLAYBACK DEVICE. Under Tools - Options - Audio Settings, for each of Microphone, Speakers and Ringing, a dropdown box for each of those has 2 choices - Windows default device and C-Media Wave device. Regardless which one I choose - this Playback Device problem exists. I have all inputs in my taskbar speaker/volume control selector un-muted. I do not currently have a microphone plugged in - but I wouldn't expect that would cause this problem. ?

Under Tools - Options - Sounds, the "play this sound" function does not result in any audible sound.

Does the actual program file (skype.exe) require any specific kernelEx setting?

Does the .bat file that invokes skype (or any of the custom .cmd files that are present) require modification to restore audio functions?

Nomen

Nomen

• PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Joined 07-July 12
The previous version of skype that I had (that used to work a year ago before Skype changed something with their contact server) was 3.5.0.239.

Also, I'm blocking ui.skype.com in my Hosts file (I read somewhere that it would help get skype working again). Should I unblock it?

According to this screen capture: http://forums.logite...?v=mpbl-1&px=-1 I'm supposed to have a small green "Play" arrow beside the Speaker setting drop-down box. I have no such arrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users