Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Oxford Hachette Dictionary on Seven?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,517 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

That was no critique!  I saw myself in that statement when I made it.  Maybe that didn't come across.

No, it didn't. 

You worry way too much over the exact wording of things, jaclaz.

Very possibly, I read your incipit:

I think you need to start to accept that 16 bit Windows is gone and done.

as "Abandon hope all ye who enter here"   :ph34r: and thus I read the following as the usual consumerist advice, my bad  :blushing:  .

"Some of US like to experiment with cobbled-together environments...  That's kind of what this forum is about.".

Better?

Sure :).

Does that "US" mean that you want to join the club? :unsure:

I wonder if you are old and grumpy enough (or miss any of the other requisites ;)) to be eligible for membership.... :whistle:

jaclaz

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Radish

Radish

• 12 posts
  • Joined 11-May 15

Hi Pointer,

I was looking on the web for a solution to your woes and came across the following links which may be of use to you:

http://apps.microsof...fc-cbdad19b420d

At that webpage they say the dictionary will run on x86 and x64 systems.

The product mentioned at that webpage also contains a link to the producer of this Oxford-Hachette dictionary. The webpage where it is listed is:

http://www.mobisyste...m/dictionaries/

The webpage for the Windows version of that product is:

http://www.mobisyste...nch-dictionary/

There is a trial version available for download there - so maybe you could try it out on Win7 and see if it is okay for your needs.

If you want to contact the company that produces the dictionary their email is: info@mobisystems.com You might get information from them that helps if you run into problems with this.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Radish, 31 May 2015 - 09:53 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,517 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

At that webpage they say the dictionary will run on x86 and x64 systems.

Yep, though they also say on that same page:

Get Windows 8.1 to run this app.

:whistle:

It seems like Windows 7  is either too new or too old :w00t: depending on which side you look at it....;)

jaclaz

Radish

Radish

• 12 posts
  • Joined 11-May 15

Yeah I saw that Windows 8.1 blurb too. But then I thought, that it isn't ruling out running on Win7 - so maybe worth a punt. Contacting the producers and asking is probably the thing to do. Contacting them would be the thing I would do.

Edited by Radish, 31 May 2015 - 11:52 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,517 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Yeah I saw that Windows 8.1 blurb too. But then I thought, that it isn't ruling out running on Win7 - so maybe worth a punt. Contacting the producers and asking is probably the thing to do. Contacting them would be the thing I would do.

Well that thing is a (Metro) app, so, no, it won't run "as is" on Windows 7 :no:, though there are probably ways:

http://www.codeproje...ps-From-Desktop

Generically speaking (probably because apps suck so much :whistle:) there is seemingly not much interest in having them run in Windows 7 and earlier.

OT :ph34r: though of course every form of perversion - within limits - is a form of freedom, the good guys at iobit have a queer bi-polar attitude:

http://www.iobit.com...it-winmetro.php

http://www.iobit.com...tstartmenu8.php

jaclaz

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Apps positively suck (note: no negativity).

-Noel

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

While I positively agree with this sentiment:

Apps positively suck (note: no negativity).

I do like this:

OT :ph34r: though of course every form of perversion - within limits - is a form of freedom, the good guys at iobit have a queer bi-polar attitude:

http://www.iobit.com...tstartmenu8.php

If only everyone, especially including MS, would take this approach, and make the GUI a distinct and separate part of the OS that can be easily changed as desired, similar to the way that Linux users can choose between GNOME, KDE and others, harkening back to the days when it was popular to change the shell from what MS provided, eg Blackbox, bbClean and others of their ilk.  ( I'm sure themers would absolutely love it! )  MS could concentrate on adding and improving actual useful features while others could concentrate on providing options on the look, if folks wanted that.  I would think this would also make it easier to adapt the OS to the various platforms including desktop, tablet, phone, POS and kiosks.  Since the vast overwhelming push-back on the later versions of the OS have been GUI related, this might remove the impediment many folks have had to upgrading.

Though I guess from MS's perspective, they might be afraid that if the user's system could be made to look and operate exactly the same, no matter which version was under the hood, people might take the approach of "Why bother upgrading?", rather than "Why wouldn't I want to upgrade if it will look and operate the same as it always did, but faster, more secure, and with extra new capabilities?"

It will never happen, but I can dream. :)

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,517 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

@bhplt

From experience, and once said that I find, like the board skin, the possibility for the final user to change the shell to one of his/her liking a basic freedom, a line needs to be drawn.

I do understand how there is the need for company PC's to have a "same" shell so that as an example workers that use the same machine on subsequent shifts or that move from one workstation to another find themselves in a "same" graphical environment.

Unlike most people that don't like the NCI and that wish the return of the "classic" UI, I find that the NCI, notwithstanding it being an abomination of ugliness and lost functionalities is well within the fair choices of the MS (demented) designers for the new OS's, of course I wish they had made it more easily swappable with something else, but this possibility of changing the shell should be available only to final "single" users or - alternatively - company wide.

What I consider a form of perversion :ph34r: is the sheer idea of a third party of proposing to apply a NCI like interface over an actually good, working and tested one, but much more than that this snippet:

By displaying useful shortcuts such as weather, calendar, news, stocks, and frequently used programs with highly recognizable large icons, WinMetro turns your desktop to a productive work station with fast access to all your programs and files.

send shivers down my spine as all these years I managed to be fairly productive using an accessory called "window" to look outside and see what the weather is, another one called casually wall calendar to see what day it is (even during a blackout) and had no §@ç#ing news and stocks on the desktop to distract me from work.

The app in itself is ok, the message IMHO much less so, something like:

Even if you cannot afford the new Windows 8/8.1 now you can have the same senseless, distracting and offending to the eye UI on your XP/Vista/7. Stop worrying, you can now also reduce your productivity even on good, working versions of the windows OS.

would have been more truthful ;).

jaclaz

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

Fair enough.  I hereby change my previous "I do like this" to "I like the concept of a changeable UI for company wide or home personal use applications, even though this particular implementation below might not be the best example."

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

pointertovoid

pointertovoid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Joined 16-January 09

Happy that the fine people (which I like all) could settle their dantesque  ;) divergence of interpretation.

£15 or 50€ are for an app... I like to own forever software I buy, use it offline (some computers never touch the Internet in my home), go on using it when the editor has disappeared or lost a trial - and the software should start in <<1s please. All that speaks in favour of older applications and against online apps.

Paper editions too would cost some $40, but for six languages from several editors, I appreciate the Cd-rom weight. Quicker too because I use to write on a computer.

Which leaves me with the v2 of Oxford at £343 (which one Amazon buyer could run on 64b Seven but with an error window at each start :thumbdown ), possibly some adapter stack (I have to try), or switch to Collins-Robert or to Harrap's.

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,848 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Not so. You could as well make the effort to get 98SE running in a VM, at £0 = 0€, and open a viable way to run not just that Dictionary, but many other old applications you already own, too.

ralcool

ralcool

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 16-August 13

Besides the fact I run a Win7 system in 32bit mode and will continue doing so forever since that is what stores & runs my hoarded load of software since the 90's.

When I have to run  'Windows Media Viewer', an old 16bit program, which for me runs a Service Manual for a make of car.

I either run it on the 32bit system, or use VMware and run a legal licensed old copy of XP which is brought out of retirement to run the software in my laptop.

Its easy, its polished- and almost free.

Abandon-ware is a term which comes to mind.

So, yes. We Cobble bits of hardware / software together to run the needs of the day. Ideas and information are never obsolete.

Annoying it is to find when PAID licenses fail to activate still useful software on rebuilt or replacement hardware.  I have keys that just don't work anymore... or are often locked to specific software version numbers.

Age (of you, or the hardware) is not a factor in success.

HarperTown X5460 | P5E-VM G35 | 4Gb DDR2 | nVidia GT440 2Tb | 256Gb Sandisk UltraPlus SSD  | Windows 8.1 x64 MCE

Penryn T9500es | HP DV2533tx | 4Gb DDR2 | nVidia 8400M | 256Gb Sandisk UltraPlus SSD  | Windows 10 x64 IP

Bloomfield i7-920 |Gigabyte GA-EX58 | 6Gb DDR3 | nVidia 8800GT 512Mb | OCZ- Agility3 128Gb | Windows 10 x64 IP

itisdifficulttobeverycreativewithonlyfiftysevencharacters

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,848 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Abbandonware... lots wishful thinking and so many words... and yet it does not even exist, from the point-of-view of law.

Either one has valid licences or it's just warez, no matter how much one may wish to sugar-coat it.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

There's a balance to be struck...

On one end of the spectrum, there are those who want things to "just work" in the extreme.  Perhaps these folks would be most suited to using a Mac, where you pay money, get a system that you never have to think about, just turn on the power and have your hand held as you run the apps provided.  Notably at this end of the spectrum the emphasis on maintaining compatibility with older software is at a minimum.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are those who might call themselves "geeks".  These folks don't balk at the challenge of opening the hood, tinkering, maybe visiting the junk yard for parts.  And with suitable machinations even the most ancient software still can be run.

We all fall somewhere in this range.  Some of us have things like virtual machines running old versions of Windows, while others might consider that too much trouble.  Some eschew the newest versions of Windows because they don't perceive value in recent changes, while others get right into them.

I ventured into territory I shouldn't have, above, where I judged pointertovoid's desire to "get geeky" to be relatively low.  I fear I've insulted a number of folks.  I am sorry, I should not have done that.  "Getting geeky" is often a LOT of fun.

-Noel

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,517 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I don't think you insulted anyone :no:, and there can be all shades of green in this (nice) Venn diagram:

geek_dork_dweeb_nerd.jpg

it's when someone finds himself/herself outside of the green area that the troubles may arise....:unsure:

jaclaz

• dencorso likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users