Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Help with backing up 2 computers to an external HDD.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

tlcmd

tlcmd

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 20-August 07

I would appreciate some advice and sugestions. My wife has a desktop with Win 7 which has a 1TiB HDD and a Laptop running Win 8.1 with a 700 Gig HDD. She has purchased a 2 TiB external hard drive and asked me to back both of her computers up on it.

My gut feeling is to partition the external hard drive and use each computer's back up program to back the computers up to separate  partitions. However, I would like to be able to occasionally bring these backups up to date without having to wipe the HDD and start all over again. So, in order to keep her happy, I'd appreciate some advice.

I need to add that she considers her computers to be tools and, like her cars, she wants them to work without necessarily understanding why. 

However, I am pretty much a Linux guy, giving up on Windows several years ago, but I've tried to stay as up to date as possible with Windows since my wife is wedded to them. 

I would appreciate advice and suggestions, please. I am reposting this on the in 8 forum also.

Thanks,

tlcmd

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,465 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Maybe in this case you want to "clone" the partitions of the two hard disks into corresponding volumes on the huge 2 Tb "backup" and then periodically "sync them". :unsure:

You are well within the MBR "style" limits, so there are not any of the (BTW perfectly solvable) possible complications of GPT to be taken into account.

Expecially if you (or your wife) are not going to re-partition the devices' hard disks, this would probably be the most simple approach and there are several Windows tools that can be used to perform the periodical "syncing" (since you are a Linux guy, think of rsync), the advantage of this approach is that should the need arise these backups may double as "bare metal restore".

How are the current hard disks partitioned?

Are you going to create the new disk layout from Windows or from Linux?

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users