Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Little YouTube play icon doesn't show in Windows XP

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

MrMaguire

MrMaguire

Designed for Microsoft® Windows® XP

• PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Joined 30-April 14

In the name of being OCD, I'd like to point out another minor cosmetic defect on Windows XP.

image.png

When watching a YouTube video (in Pale Moon in this case), a small play symbol shows next to the video title. That's pretty cool. It even shows in the browser title bar, and the browser taskbar tab(s). Except on Windows XP (and older), it doesn't.

image.png

image.png

This is what you get on XP. So, I'm guessing that XP and older are missing a font or something that this is dependent on. Anybody know which one?

I'm posting here because I can't find much about this on Google.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

j7n

j7n

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Joined 18-December 06

g.h.uv=function(a){g.Re||(window.document.title=1==a?"\u25b6 "+this.A:this.A)};

25B6; BLACK RIGHT-POINTING TRIANGLE

The fonts on my system that have this symbol are:

Kepler Std
Kozuka Mincho Pro
Lucida Sans Unicode *
Minion Pro
Utopia Std

All except one are Adobe OpenType PostScript fonts.

Browsers will usually replace missing symbols on a character (firefox) or paragraph element (opera) basis from all installed fonts. I think Opera holds configuration for Unicode Character Ranges somehwere and uses that. Firefox can switch fonts on literally every symbol. If you have a webpage with normal text and one Japanese symbol, that one symbol might get pulled from another font, not excplitly declared on the webpage. The remainder of the paragraph after this symbol might be shown using that foreign font as well.

I don't know if WinNT 6.1 also does this. But WinXP most certainly does not. I imagine looking up every character into a table of replacements is a very slow process. Especially since Unicode is quite bloated with funny symbols. The symbol only shows up on the Windows title bar if I choose a font which has this 25B6 in it.

You can copy-paste this character into common Unicode capable software like Microsoft Word and browse your list of fonts to see which one has it.

Attached File  youtube-triangle.png   5.79KB   1 downloads

Attached File  youtube-triangle2.png   8.64KB   1 downloads

Edited by j7n, Today, 12:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users