win7 > win10 via upgrade method [OOPS]

benjamminzIS

I had purchased a win7 x64 ultimate key from ebay (I got luuuuucky... let's just leave it at that) problem is I can't for the life of me remember where I stored the key... well the oops is that I upgraded to win10 technical preview via the upgrade method and not a wipe/fresh install... just to see what it was all about (mistake #3 if you're keeping track)... well I'd like to re-install win7 and make a seperate partition for win10 but I have no idea how to recover my win7 key at this point... is there a way? am I totally screwed, because that ebay deal was certainly once in a lifetime, I even received an email from ebay after the purchase stating that they had removed the listing and that I wasn't obligated to pay...etc... but I had already activated the windows7 install so I felt I'd take my chances, and 2yrs later everything was still fine, no issues with "authenticity" (genuine-ness... lol)

I would be so greatful for any constructive criticism, or pointers on how to get my key back (if it's even possible at this point...)

thanks,

blast0id

shortly after posting, I found that same thread... and after pointing produkey to the windows.old/windows/system32/config/software registry hive, it gives me a product key, but it says the version is windows 10... not 7... so I'm really confused...

thank you for your response though!

shortly after posting, I found that same thread... and after pointing produkey to the windows.old/windows/system32/config/software registry hive, it gives me a product key, but it says the version is windows 10... not 7... so I'm really confused...

That would be because you're running produkey on Windows 10, right? It detects the version of Windows it's running on, just that.

It cannot detect 7 because seven isn't running at that point. So, don't be confused... it's all right:

The license produkey gets from windows.old/windows/system32/config/software is the one for 7, all right!