Giving Approval for Microsoft To Do What They Want

NoelC

People have speculated that if everyone would wake up one day and just find that Microsoft had "upgraded" their Win 7 and 8 systems to Win 10, there would be hell to pay.

Microsoft wouldn't dare do that without permission, right?

Now consider this:

Does "Reserving your copy of Windows 10" grant that permission? 

Just enough to limbo under the legal bar?

I'm no legal eagle, but I judge it as yes.  Note the 1, 2, 3 instructions:

1.  Reserve your FREE upgrade to Windows 10 now.  It will download once available and you can cancel your reservation at any time.

2.  You'll get a notification after Windows 10 is downloaded to your device.  Install it right away or pick a time that's good for you.

3.  After it's installed, Windows 10 is all yours!

What will your options be for picking a time, I wonder.

Food for thought.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

For me a suitable time-slot would be between 08:30 and 11:30 PM on January 14, 2020, I wonder if this can be scheduled now :unsure:.

Surely the newly acquired[1] Wunderlist app:

https://www.wunderlist.com/blog/our-future-wunderlist-joins-microsoft/

https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2015/06/02/welcome-6wunderkinder-microsoft-acquires-wunderlist/

will be able to have one year ahead horizon, so this might give me almost one year, from April 9, 2019, to test Windows 7 while still using XP.... :whistle:

jaclaz

[1] Please note how  Wunderlist talks of "joining MS", whilst MS talks of "MS acquires", the choice of words could be telling something....

Interesting information, but how does the acquisition by Microsoft of a software company (no doubt making the principals rich) apply to this subject?  The terms "joining" and "acquires" aren't surprising.

It has been reported (in the context of the Windows 8.1 upgrade) that the "pick a time" process for delaying Windows installations appears to be very limited.  Do we have reason to suspect it will be different this time around?

The use of warm and fuzzy lingo ("cancel your reservation at any time" and "pick a time that's good for you") is clearly intended to inspire confidence (as in "we're not locking you into anything and you have no reason not to trust us"). 

Assuming the moment you agree to the "reservation" you ARE essentially locked in (what's the process for canceling, anyway?) I see this as an aggressively predatory move by Microsoft.

Thinking ahead, I imagine there will be a couple of buttons at some point, the bigger and shinier of which does an irreversible "upgrade", while the small, dim, (not recommended) one will set up for a potential rollback.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Interesting information, but how does the acquisition by Microsoft of a software company (no doubt making the principals rich) apply to this subject? 

I found funny  :lol:  the coincidence that MS (who was evidently not able to write a good enough cross-platform schedule/agenda in the several years since Outlook came out) had bought/acquired Wunderlist the same day they promised that the stupid update to the stupid Windows 10 can be *somehow* scheduled.

jaclaz

Seems a pretty unlikely connection, but whatever lights your boat, er, floats your fire, er...

No one but me (and I guess Jaclaz, on the observation that he uses the term "stupid" a lot to describe Microsoft) thinks that Microsoft's method of gaining approval to upgrade people's systems to Win 10 seems downright devious?  Is everyone getting so numb to their intrusions already?

Let's review:

1.  They loaded shillware onto everyone's systems with Windows Update.  Was that what you thought Windows Update was for?

2.  They loaded data gathering software onto everyone's systems for to gather info to help THEM in preparation for the Win 10 release.  Was that what you wanted your computer to be doing and the reason you're paying for your Internet access?

3.  They popped up an ad for their free upgrade and used misleading language to coerce you into agreeing to replace your operating system when THEY want to with one that uploads your data to them.

This is YOUR computer, right?  Who's in control again?

Seriously, no one else sees that this is just like the stuff people have been trying desperately to block since malware began?

The frog pot is almost at boiling.

-Noel

Well, I, for one, drew the line at 7 (theoretically, that is, because I'll only move on truly to 7 when, and if, IMO, XP SP3 becomes inviable, and not one second earlier). I do have two 7 (ultimate) installations, one x64 on a multiboot desktop, which I keep up to date but never use for anything, and another, x86, on a netbook rarely used. All my other machines have XP Pro SP3. Although I sometimes use 8 or even Vista SP2 at work, neither ever crossed the houses doorway till now. The only difference between my point-of-view and yours is that you actually found 8.1 valuable, while I do not. This is a statement of my view on the matter. I do believe most people here knew that already. But I've decided to state it again in so many words, just in case. Of course, my opinion is my own, not necessarily MSFN's.

And for the record, very often jaclaz uses the attribute "stupid" referred to products and documents Microsoft creates and to decisions they make, and very rarely (if ever at all)  to themselves as a whole, as a matter of fact  jaclaz believes they are good guys , like anyone else :) (though when "en masse" definitely stubborn and maybe also sometimes unfriendly or non respectful of the customers).

Certainly there are some among the best programmers around working for Microsoft, whose good work is usually ruined (or made far less evident than what would otherwise be it's worth) by wrong decisions of the management or by completely failed perceptions of the marketing guys or by the convolutions of their legal team.

Of course there are exceptions to this general rule of "they're all good people", some examples of people:

• the guy that decided to use a Registry Hive format for the BCD
  • the lady that pumped up the Office Ribbon
  • the visionary that decided to go "all in" on touch and one-size-fits-all Windows
  • the policy maker that promoted the continuous and forced updates model

those must have (or have had) some cognitive disorders or were at the time under the effects of some substance.

jaclaz

An (ongoing current) anecdote...

A friend of mine wrote an eMail to me last night (and several today)...

He got the GWX notification.  He doesn't want to upgrade just yet his Win 7 x64 Pro system on high-end Puget Systems hardware, which serves him for his photographic work.  Like anyone who thinks things through before leaping, he wants to wait and see whether Win 10 is viable among others who work as he does with photographs.

He's not stupid, he's quite tech-capable, but he's not an expert at Windows configuration and manipulation specifically. 

Most importantly, he expressed  his utter surprise to me that Microsoft would suddenly turn on him like this.

Without guidance and before contacting me, he did what he thought he needed to do (choosing NOT to "reserve his copy of Win 10", and configuring the icon not to show) to rid himself of the GWX nagware.  

He says that everything he did to try to get out from under having the Win 10 icon in his system tray and stop it from nagging him, the GWX software undid and the nags reappeared.  Lost so far:  half a day fighting with it.

I have since advised him on uninstalling KB3035583, hiding it (and watching warily for it to reappear in the future).  Hiding the update had not occurred to him.

-Noel

Lost so far:  half a day fighting with it.

Try to imagine multiplying that handful of hours (subtracted to work) by millions to have an idea of how this flawed approach can affect the world economy...

MS is making a large part of their userbase loose time (please read as money or as "amount of alternative fun"). :ph34r:

I am pretty sure that your friend will remember this next time he will go shopping for a new device or Operating System....

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz