DX 12 on Windows 7?

AnX

I personally like The idea of DX12. However, I don't like how you need to install Windows 10 for it. Win10 simply doesn't appeal to me. Anyway, there was a port of DX10 from Windows Vista to XP before. So I'm wondering if the same can be done for Windows 7?

Thanks.

Hypothetically yes, but I doubt it. The only reason they ported Vista's then-exclusive DX version was out of necessity because no one would install Vista and they wanted to people to use it over it DX9. Microsoft is making a pretty big try and consolidate everyone under one platform. I doubt Microsoft will get rid of one of Windows 10 biggest incentives by porting it to older versions of Windows.

Yes, it's stupid to always make the newest version of DirectX exclusive to the new version of Windows, but it's not like MS has never done this before and they need to give people some incentive to change Windows 10. Although, until I still something that appeals to me I'm sticking with 7.

porting of dx10 on xp is a crap

as xp can't use it at all

it was all done via Alky and nobody ever proved they managed to run a game to USE it

dx10 is very tied to MIL and DWM, something that XP doesn't have

-

for 12 on win7 it could be much easier I think

someone needs to first see what dependency checks does it make before installation

Edited by vinifera

• 3 months later...

for 12 on win7 it could be much easier I think

someone needs to first see what dependency checks does it make before installation

not really.  DX12 is tied to wddm 2.0 spec and wddm 2.0 is a win10-only feature.  the Direct3D 12 API requires WDDM 2.0.

thats only software block

as long as you have hardware that is compliant to 12 and foundation that it can run on (NT 6)

it could be "hackable", but doubt people will waste time on it

as there are probably too many checks via milcore, kernel, user32, dwm, and who knows what else ...