please help with a 98-me build

delukard

Hi i want to build a 98-me pc to play the following games.

Unreal, HL with expansions, quake 2, heretic 2 , diablo 1 and 2, sacrifice,thief 2, deus ex.

My hardware is teh following

Pentium 3 900

128mb ram (i could try and find another 120mb)

ati 9200 pci ( the motehrabord doesnt have a agp port )

10gb hdd (all my ide hdd's are defective)

Creative soundblaster audigy (no front port)

USB mouse and keyboard

250 no brand power supply

I have a pentium 4 based with agp port motehrboard but my vodoo 5 can't fit (different agp)

I already installed wxp on this pc and it runs fine , but i want to try W98 or Wme

Last time i used Wme it was stable enough on a working enviroment and even some light gaming (it was on 2002) so i have no problems with the os.

I own a w98 disk and a Wme disk , originals, but they are vanilla.

I was wondering if any of you know of a modified version that includes updates and that is stable for some gaming and some light Internet acces?

I know the limitations of using old software, and i don't intend to use it as a main pc (i have a modern gaming desktop and a laptop)

I want to build this pc to play the games mentioned and also use EAX on them ( to me there is a big difference with games that use EAX)

I could try to emulate the os on my main pc, but if i have the way to build a w98-me pc i think is better.

TY

BTW IIRC w98se doesnt have native usb support correct? and Wme does

Am i wrong? Also is OLD APPS.COM safe to use? (i used to use the site a long time ago)

Edited by delukard

Most of the Microsoft updates available for 98 and Me can be found on MDGX. (Microsoft deleted them a long time ago.) There are also a few unofficial service packs for 98/Me which bundle together updates. However, I recommend not installing an update unless you have problems.

BTW IIRC w98se doesnt have native usb support correct? and Wme does

Am i wrong? Also is OLD APPS.COM safe to use? (i used to use the site a long time ago)

If you mean USB mass storage support, yes. However, third party drivers have been made for both Windows 95 (here) and 98 (here) which provide such capability.

I've used OldApps.com and don't recall getting any viruses or malware, but you never know. I recommend using the wayback machine to find older versions of software from their original sources, and only use sites like OldApps.com if you can't find it anywhere else.

What is EAX? (besides a CPU register...)

More generally when doing computer archeology, you must always think at the exact time context.

Example:

Did (say) quake 2 run well under Windows 98 on (say) 15th January 2001?

If yes, *anything* published after the 15th January 2001 (every single patch, program or "update") is NOT necessary to run it (and while it may be absolutely OK it may well create an issue or conflict of some kind).

jaclaz

All the games OP listed should work fine on Win98, noting that some software may have newer versions that shouldn't be used. For example, there are multiple releases of Half-Life. The first release worked fine on Win98 but did not on XP. Newer release works fine on XP but not sure about 98.

My only concern would be Diablo II with LOD. LOD has XP as the minimum and I don't remember if I had LOD on Shiva or not.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020126104430/http://blizzard.com/diablo2exp/

Single-Player PC System Requirements
Requirements the Full Version of Diablo II

• Windows® 2000*, ME, XP, 95, 98 or NT 4.0 Service Pack 5
  • Pentium® 233 or equivalent
  • 64 MB RAM
  • 800MB available hard drive space (in addition to original Diablo II Multiplayer install).
  • 4X CD-ROM drive
  • DirectX™ compatible video card

Ty for the info.

i know that those games run fine on xp.

I can't install XP, well i can , but there are no drivers for some of my hardware

.-Motherboard doesn't have a pci slot (only pci-e) and my asus soundcard, sucks at emulating EAX

.- some old games behave bad on a Unified shaders Card like the r9 280 ( on unreal 2 based games enabling bump mapping  the games crash like Republic commando)

.- On a game like thief 2 Enabling Eax does make a difference when playing it.

I have some old hardware on the house, that's why i thought ,maybe i sould put together a w-98 based pc.

I don't think i'll play all those games again, (married with children, but i'm not AL Bundy lol)

But i do want to play and finish , Broken sword and Blade runer. ( i didn't like broken sword directors cut)

TY all for the answers , and sorry aboy my grammar, English is not my main languaje and for some reason Autocorrect isn't working here even when using forefox , weird.

What made me do this was the game Dark fall it doesnt run fine on xp.

TY guys for the answers.

So today i found among my things a

Pentium 4 1.3 with an Asus mobo P4T

10gb hdd

4x 64 rdram

a soundblaster live ( but i installed an audigy)

A gforce 2 gts (didn't worked) so i used a radeon 9250 pci

I installed Wme and the radeon drivers , but i cant find the audigy drivers. the ones on creatives site are updated drivers that need the driver form the cd installed.

Anyone now where i can find the driver?

I'm using firefox 2.0. TBH i'm missing the adblock addon, because those adds sure kill the p4

I also have a p3 900mhz with 129 sdram and was wondering if the p4 would be better IIRC in some things the p3 was better