My first XP crash

snorelaxx

Hi group, I had my first crash in XP. The system wouldn't respond, so I did a power-off reset. Now the system boots, first black screen with the anaimation, then the second blue screen( light blue center with darker blue bars above and below.)- then stops. The mouse works but thats about it. Tried to boot in safe mode , same thing. Tried the other options after pressing F8, same thing. How do I recover from this ? Any help appreciated.

Tried hitting F8 and using last known good, tried safe mode, debugging mode, etc all give the same results. Should I reload XP ?

Without reformatting, can I re-install ontop of the existing XP installation, keeping my apps installed ?

Hi all, thanks for the replies, nothing worked, so I re-installed XP on top of the previous installation. Its up and running now. Before the system crashed, I had a problem with Norton System works 2002. It claimed a system file wa not associated or something, Norton antivirus had stopped working - computer freeze. After re-installing XP, norton still didn't work, so Iv'e unistalled System works. Curious if anyone else had any problems with System Works 2002 ?

THanks again.

If your using a download version that supposely is 2002 then I would imagine you should have promblems. Systemworks 2002 that were offered on websites earlier were not actually 2002 final. You can find the final version now. I would advise to save your files you want, formatte and find a current systemworks 2002 to avoid anymore promblems.

-Chris

Seems you need to use a FIX,

let me find it - I will revert

as soon as possible...

I don't use it because my machine

is working on a dual boot basis

Fat 32 so I don't need to install

NSW2002 again on WinXP, just working

from WinME on partition where the

WinXP is installed, upto now is

working fine...

Hope clear.

Bye for now.

Eureka!!

Hope this might help you!

The AV included in Norton SystemWorks 2002 generated blue screens (stops related to tcpip.sys), but I set up the rest of SystemWorks 2002, and then installed NAV 2001 with the SymEvent patch for Windows 2000 ( http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/symevnt/symevnt.html -- first one on list ) and now everything works fine. The only real difference with the two versions that I can see is that 2002 also checks outgoing e-mail as well as incoming. I had the exact same problems with RC1, RC2, and the "final" of XP.

unquote

If above not suitable try to use the winXP's default

and go to Symantec's site, or finally install a fresh

"final" NSW2002 from Elusive , for instance.

Luck.

akenaton@suissemail.ch

ps: I'm also have a lot of doubts about WinXP :)

The only real difference with the two versions that I can see is that 2002 also checks outgoing e-mail as well as incoming[/quote:00bcf59a67]

Not sure were this was taken from but its a very unreliable source. SY2001 has always scaned you out going and incoming mail.

-Chris

Sometimes when I exit Counter-strike, the computer freeze, mousepointer just locked in the middle and comp wont answer any commands, but after a hardboot it runs the "scandisk" prog, and everything is good..

Just dont like the feeling that it freezes.. ;(