Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Hard Drive password removal HELP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

jimet

jimet

• 11 posts
  • Joined 14-December 03

I have "inherited" several 1 TB drives that "lived" in an old video server.  Every one I have tried to format comes up saying the drive is password protected and I need to enter the password (which I don't have).  I tried 3 different pcs, and all display the same message.  All I want to do is reformat the drives for use in other pcs.   Does anyone have any ideas???  I'm runnin' out of things to try.

Jim E.

Drives are Seagate ST3400633AS BARRACUDA 7200 rpm or equiv.

Edited by jimet, Today, 09:33 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,644 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

You might want to post EXACT hard disk models.

For *some* models there may be ways to recover the password or specific free programs, for most a ATA secure erase initiated through secure erase:

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu...cure-Erase.html

or hdparm will do (of course completely losing any content, but this should not be an issue for you).

There may be some compatibility issues between Secure Erase and the hard disk or between hdparm and the OS/driver (under windows) take some time reading this seemingly unrelated thread:

http://reboot.pro/to...e-from-windows/

Consider how - IF the password is recoverable - recovering the password is a matter of seconds/minutes for each disk, while an ATA secure erase on a 1 Tb disk is likely to be in the 6-10 hours range of time (still for each disk).

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users