Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

NVidia Video Driver Shutdown Fix

- - - - - NVidia 81.98 82.69 Shutdown Problem

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09

But I can select all modes.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06

This should not happen. :( There is an entry in the ini file for this selection and there is also a failsafe in the code in case that ini entry is missing.

Have you changed any values in the ini file before running the patcher for the first time?

Can you confirm there is the entry CodeType=1 in the Preferences section of the original ini?

Did you launch the patcher first time with the original ini present in its folder?

The only way this could happen would be for the ini entry to contain a value out of range (1-4). Unless ME is somehow behaving strangely when reading from ini, but I doubt that.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09

Before running the CodeType entry is 1.  

I repeated the first start without patching several times. Sometimes the box was empty (the scroll down menu shows all modes), but sometimes there was "safe" inside. Odd

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06

I'll look into that, trying to reproduce. Maybe your sistem is too fast (or too slow?). Al I got here is a 667MHz PIII (my main 98SE machine) and a 1.8GHz P4 (XP). The other 98SE testing machine is similar to the P4 one. No WinME unfortunately. But will see what can be done. Thanks again.

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • Joined 30-May 05

OK, "wide" and "full" works. ME users should see, that they must select these options. Obviously the "safe mode" is the default one, if you don't select "code type" (empty box).

The two message Patch "safe mode" works for me in Windows ME. You, like Miki, need the 25h Patch as well. I put all three in Post #1 to cover everybody.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,015 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

I know it's irrelevant... but, just out of curiosity, may I ask what each of these 3 messages signal?

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06

That is why there are choices: one doesn't work - try the next. WinME has only two code versions anyway so either 'Wide' or 'Full' (which are identical) should do the job if 'Safe' doesn't. :)

Now there's a new version:

v1.4.6.0
- Added automatic ability to overpatch a file already patched by this patcher (NOT THOROUGHLY TESTED!)
- Added automatic choice of last selected OS version (only when run under NT-based systems)
- Fixed random empty code type selection (reported by schwups)
- GUI improvements to eliminate confusion about utility of 'code type' selector
- Minor code improvements

Basically this version makes it even easier: try 'Safe' patch; if it doesn't work, choose 'Wide' and patch over, without the need to unpatch first. If it still doesn't work, choose 'Full', patch again and if that still won't work then it's time for Mr. Loew to find a fourth message to bypass. :D Well, hopefully that won't be the case. ;)

No Win95 or 98Gold testers yet? I'm so sad… Anyway, enjoy! :)

I know it's irrelevant... but, just out of curiosity, may I ask what each of these 3 messages signal?

Beats me. Mr. Loew, you got the floor. :)

Edited by Drugwash, Yesterday, 02:25 PM.

cov3rt

cov3rt

• 48 posts
  • Joined 24-January 15

That is why there are choices: one doesn't work - try the next. WinME has only two code versions anyway so either 'Wide' or 'Full' (which are identical) should do the job if 'Safe' doesn't. :)

Now there's a new version:

v1.4.6.0
- Added automatic ability to overpatch a file already patched by this patcher (NOT THOROUGHLY TESTED!)
- Added automatic choice of last selected OS version (only when run under NT-based systems)
- Fixed random empty code type selection (reported by schwups)
- GUI improvements to eliminate confusion about utility of 'code type' selector
- Minor code improvements

Basically this version makes it even easier: try 'Safe' patch; if it doesn't work, choose 'Wide' and patch over, without the need to unpatch first. If it still doesn't work, choose 'Full', patch again and if that still won't work then it's time for Mr. Loew to find a fourth message to bypass. :D Well, hopefully that won't be the case. ;)

No Win95 or 98Gold testers yet? I'm so sad… Anyway, enjoy! :)

Beats me. Mr. Loew, you got the floor. :)

when you say win95, does that mean forceware 82.69 / 82.16 may work on windows 95, but may not support geforce 7000 series gpu? or is it meant to only correct shutdown problems with official driver releases such as the 81.98 forceware? not that you would need anything better than like a fx 5200 on windows 95 lol. the best games i have researched only recommend 32 MB graphics cards with dx8.0a, so a 64 MB video card on windows 95 would be good enough for most things. which brings up a question, does anyone know any games that recommend 64 MB of video memory on windows 95? 

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • Joined 30-May 05

Message 4 is "System VM Terminated".
Message 25h is "System Exit 2". The second reverse order pass of "System Exit".
Message 32h is "Kernel32 Shutdown"
  • dencorso likes this
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 877 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

It has not been tested with Windows 98FE or Windows 95.
Version 81.98: (Revised 07/29)

144: 24 -> 3B
31F35E: 9E 55 E5 FF -> C2 05 00 00
31F924: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 -> 3C 04 74 08 3C 25 74 04 3C 32 75 02 B0 52 89 44 24 04 E9 C5 4F E5 FF

Message 4 is "System VM Terminated".
Message 25h is "System Exit 2". The second reverse order pass of "System Exit".
Message 32h is "Kernel32 Shutdown"

Tested and verified this works with Windows 95C and the 81.98 driver. Not tested other versions yet.
Windows 95 requires both Messages 4 and 32 like Windows ME in order to Shut Down properly. Message 32 by itself will prevent SCANDISK being triggered by having to manually power off or reset.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NVidia, 81.98, 82.69, Shutdown Problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users