Internet Explorer 10/11 in Windows Vista?

sonny_a

Hi,

I really like the UI and speediness of IE 11 when I used Windows 7. I went to Vista SP2 because In my experience It felt faster and more fluid than 7. I'm currently running Firefox but would like to use IE 11/10 as 9 isn't fast enough.

Is there anyway I can get it to work on Windows Vista?

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Firefox seems to be the best browser for Vista users. Recently, Google aligned their Vista and XP chrome versions since they apparently didn't have enough people using Vista to report bugs to continue maintaining the vista version, and as a result all chromium based browsers (i.e. modern Opera) use the unfitting XP UI on Vista as well. Google also mentioned dropping XP support at the end of this year, which means they'll probably take Vista down with it. 

I'm a huge fan of Pale Moon and use it daily. 

Windows XP's chrome doesn't include code that utilizes or detects aero glass. As a result, in Windows Vista, since they aligned the codebase of Vista chrome to XP chrome, Chrome windows now use the solid XP blue color instead of Windows Aero. I'm sure you can imagine that it looks very hideous and out of place on Vista, however you can somewhat remedy the issue by installing a different theme (or better yet, uninstall chrome completely and use Pale Moon  :thumbup )

What I partially don't understand is why they didn't align it to Windows 7 instead of XP which is much closer to Vista, but I guess missing APIs or draw calls in Vista that are present in 7 that chrome uses are to blame. But that really doesn't make it any less ridiculous in my opinion, they could still make it look half decent by allowing aero glass. I don't see how that would be such a problem. Or better yet stop forcing a custom UI and use the native UI in all windows versions, but I guess that would be too easy.

But of course, the community has already created workarounds... https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=451733(scroll to the bottom).

Use Pale Moon so you don't have to put up with Australis.

What is the difference between the Chrome "XP" and "7" styles?  I always wished that Chrome just conformed to the UI completely.

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

• 2 weeks later...