Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

News bit:

Microsoft specifically added Classic Shell to the list of incompatible applications, presumably so people won't override their wonderful new Start Menu and deprive them of the precious feedback they so crave.  As though folks who have used Classic Shell would say ANYTHING positive about Microsoft's half-fast effort.

With XPClient's guidance, I've determined that resurrecting Classic Shell is possible and (surprise, surprise) it works just fine.

Microsoft is now being overtly malicious.

-Noel

Is there a public source for this news, or did the Classic Shell folks find out on their own?

One way or another, right now I couldn't give them feedback on the Start Menu anyway (see post #105 upthread), so this is adding insult to injury.

--JorgeA

You know it's bad when your UI screw-up makes it into the popular culture. Check out this excerpt from a column by humorist Joe Queenan:

It’s the little things that count in life, and I don’t think some companies understand this. When I’ve got a nice chunk of change invested in Microsoft, I would like a little bit of advance notice that they are going to ditch the friendly Windows interface and replace it with something ghastly.

:lol:  :angrym:

--JorgeA

On a brighter note, I discovered today that the Windows Gadgets offered in 8GadgetPack, do work in the TP. :thumbup

I actually hesitated to post this, for fear that somebody at Microsoft might pick up on the "omission" and make it impossible to install Gadgets in Windows 10.

Gadgets are so much better than Metro/Modern/Universal/whatever tile apps: you can run a program (or two, or four, or seven) in smaller windows and at the same time keep track of what the Gadgets are telling you. Used one today to monitor network activity, and another one to monitor CPU usage, while running a certain program, while still being able to get other stuff done.

--JorgeA

I agree with Noel C., Classic Shell was an improvement over what MS had to offer for the start menu and though for most of us can get around the new "start menu", speed and USABILITY were what I was looking for.  By blocking CS, MS took another giant step backwards on being able to customize its OS.  In my very humble opinion it is trynig to force users to keep their XP or go to Mac or Linux.  After all, the Win95 interface became the standard in computing.  Why change it?  It worked well until Windows 8. I think too many egos are at stake when one individual looked at Microsoft and trying to save it and succeeded. I might have to go back to LXLE 12.04.5 for my older pc's.

To be fair, by attempting to block Classic Shell install and completely failing at it, MS gave us a good topic for discussion, maybe it is just a strategy to keep people busy with trivialities while they go on with their evil plan for world domination and stuff .... :unsure:

jaclaz

Windows 10 build 9888 shows up with a kernel version of 10.0

A new version of Windows 10, build 9888, is making the rounds in a private channel and the kernel version has jumped up. In the previous version of Windows 10, the kernel version was 6.4 but thanks to a new leak, it looks like the kernel is now reporting as version 10.0.

Well, at least maybe they're finally putting an end to the silliness of the brand number mismatching the kernel version number.

--JorgeA

P.S. Paul Thurrott has more information about this version, and upcoming changes, here.

Edited by JorgeA

Nice piece of info in the comments...

Hey Paul, I know you said in the article not everyone has the new IE12 rendering engine, but those that don't can turn it on by going to "about:flags" and enabling "enable experimental web platform features"

-Noel

Everything magical about computers is gone.

They took away the booth babes,

took away the beautiful box art and insert

Took away the structure of computers and call them SSD( which they are not ).

Took away the auwsome design of computers.

Took away our privacy

Took away our freedom of speech

Took away the uploaders

Took away penny

All we have is an stupid logo.

For the programmers out their I hang my head in shame. I mean seriously why even care. Oh I know 90,000 dollars of logical thinking with an 20hr jobs that goes on for over 80hrs. That is just silly. I am tired of it all.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I've been quiet, it's the holiday season.  :)

Here's something to (hopefully) start revving things up again:

Windows 10: New leaked screenshots reveal brand new UI for Settings; death of Control Panel?

The fact that elements within the Control Panel are being removed with messages telling users to use the Settings app may mean that Microsoft is planning to remove the Control Panel completely. This is something that has been rumored for sometime now, and it looks like it may be true.

Has anything come out more recently to confirm (or, better, to deny) the impending death of Control Panel?

If true, that would be another step in the creeping imbecilization of Windows. Even if all the old settings and options made it over to the "PC Settings" app, the vast amounts of empty screen real estate in that app would be, like arthritic pain, a recurring reminder of the sorry state we've reached. And it would contradict the claim that the new version of Windows would be device-aware and able to adjust itself accordingly.

With any luck, this'll be nothing more than an experimental internal build whose "features" will never see the light of day.

--JorgeA