Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

In terms of new features in Win10, about the only thing that I can think of, off the top of my head, is Cortana. And that's something I switched off as soon as I figured out how.

But, no matter whether someone likes it or not, is it a "feature" of the OS (or of the GUI)?

Or, maybe better worded, does it really *need* to be implemented as an integrated feature (as opposed to being a "normal" program, that could be installed on - say - 7 or 8/8.1 as well or even - ideally - a "portable" tool)? :unsure:

By the same token Windows Media Player being capable of playing DVD's  would be a feature of the OS (hey, wait, that's a NON-feature in WIndows 8/8.1 ;)).

jaclaz

Good questions all.

I'll leave a definitive answer to more technically oriented folks, but I'd lean toward saying that Cortana is a feature of the OS that doesn't really need to be integrated into it.

--JorgeA

There's a new build out, and it's already getting lukewarm reviews:

50 shades of gray -- hands on with Windows 10 Build 10049, the dullest Windows ever

So what else has changed in build 10049? Well some of the included apps have had a makeover and now appear in white and gray, rather than dark as they did previously. Calculator, Alarms & Clock, and Voice Recorder all sport the lighter look, and frankly it’s dull, dull, dull. Microsoft might be shooting for classy here, but the end result is just bland. A few color accents would make a massive difference. Would it hurt to make the record button in the Voice Recorder red, rather than gray?

Windows XP was, at launch, described as a Fisher Price operating system with its bright, colorful (and child-like) buttons. Windows 10 seems to be the flip side of that, with each new version becoming more boring, and depressing -- visuals wise -- than the last.

The blogger's impression of overall grayness and lack of UI choice in Win10 reminded me of a classic commercial from the '80s that folks who lived in the U.S. back then may remember:  ;)

Note two lines in the commercial that are of particular interest to this thread --

"Having no choice is no fun."

"Having a choice is better than none."

:thumbup

Did you see the portrait of Lenin in the background of the runway? If I had the skills, I'd be tempted to Photoshop certain MSFT figures with, say, a Stalin uniform and mustache.

--JorgeA

JFYI, today's news are about a new driver signing mechanism:
http://reboot.pro/topic/20423-tightened-driver-signing-requirements-in-windows-10/
Leading to:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windows_hardware_certification/archive/2015/04/01/driver-signing-changes-in-windows-10.aspx

If it's an April Fools, it's not really funny :no:, if it is for real, it is so utterly stupid and arrogant that it should represent by itself a reason to NEVER EVEN THINK of EVER getting Windows 10 :realmad: .

jaclaz

Well, that sounds pretty bad.

Just as disturbing is this potential bit of news further down in that reboot.pro thread:

Coincidentally, I have read that they plan to remove the Win32 API in some years. Of course! We can already do almost everything with it, this is a big problem for a company that wants to have a total control on our machines.

Can anyone verify (or refute) the report about removing the Win32 API?

--JorgeA

At this time I would consider it to be FUD/rumor. It is an old one too, read up the "answer" here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11573741/would-it-be-possible-for-microsoft-to-phase-out-the-win32-api-in-future-versions

No one would be onboard with such a change at this point... Even now as MS is trying to get more people to make Modern apps rather than standard desktop ones, it is way too early to imagine MS would do that any time soon. Maybe in 10-20 years the OS will have evolved to that state and we will see something different then. If anything, I would expect that Win32 could be deemed "legacy" and no longer a Best Practice, but still remain functional as a compatibility option.

On the other hand it would be a logical consequence.
When (IF) everything will be senselessly[1] UEFI and stupidly[2] 64 bit the next step will be completely removing *anything* 32-bit.

After all they got away to removing "plain" COM and 16 bit support[3] (and also some of the 32 bit code):

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/282423

since a looong time.

jaclaz

[1]senselessly because UEFI is a (IMHO badly designed and even worse implemented) solution to non-problems

[2]stupidly because 64 bit computing is - with a few meaningful exceptions BTW - the effect of bloat and lazyness more than real exigences 

[3] just in case:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2013/10/31/10461992.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2015/02/11/10592548.aspx

Edited by jaclaz

At this time I would consider it to be FUD/rumor. It is an old one too, read up the "answer" here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11573741/would-it-be-possible-for-microsoft-to-phase-out-the-win32-api-in-future-versions

No one would be onboard with such a change at this point... Even now as MS is trying to get more people to make Modern apps rather than standard desktop ones, it is way too early to imagine MS would do that any time soon. Maybe in 10-20 years the OS will have evolved to that state and we will see something different then. If anything, I would expect that Win32 could be deemed "legacy" and no longer a Best Practice, but still remain functional as a compatibility option.

Thanks, Trip, that's a relief.

Given Microsoft's record over the last three years, sadly this sort of FUD is believable. :}

--JorgeA

Well, that sounds pretty bad.

Just as disturbing is this potential bit of news further down in that reboot.pro thread:

Coincidentally, I have read that they plan to remove the Win32 API in some years. Of course! We can already do almost everything with it, this is a big problem for a company that wants to have a total control on our machines.

--JorgeA

I can't verify anything, but I have read somewhere that "Microsoft plans to kill off the desktop by 2019".  Sounds like about the same thing.

-Noel

(full sized keyboard extra)

I'm too burdened with other work right now, but putting a keyboard on a desk in front of a propped-up smart phone and taking a photo came to mind.

-Noel

Is it possible that all this wailing and nashing of teeth, is the result of:

Most all software and operating systems matured in the last 10 to 15 years. Leaving no place for major improvements or reasons for going there? Taking the automobile analogy, all they are doing is changing the look of the fenders and slope of the windows.

How many people actually NEED 64 bit capabilities? There are a FEW that really need it, but the vast majority don't even come close to using up their 32 bit availability. I do understand there is something to bragging rights, you know the cool factor of I have 16 cores and 128 gigabytes of Ram, you kind of like having a Lamborgini (sp??) or a Ferarri (sp??).

Just some thoughts.

Edited by bpalone

OT :ph34r:, but not that much ;), meanwhile in China:

http://www.jide.com/en/desktop/ultra_tablet.html

and possibly soon in the US and most Western countries:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1123481999/remix-a-laptop-experience-on-a-big-android-tablet

In an extremely simplified way, they took a Surface updated Compaq Concerto, replaced Windows with Android, and added to Android all the things that the good MS guys are trying desperately to remove from Windows. :w00t:

Windowsizing Android vs. Androidizing Windows, a whole new approach! :)

jaclaz

Taking the automobile analogy, all they are doing is changing the look of the fenders and slope of the windows.

This analogy doesn't work for desktop computing. MS has no actual need to woo a prospective customer by using the design of their product. People buy Windows because their software requires it. We do not have the luxury of changing to another OS like you can just change cars.

Maybe MS is operating under the automobile analogy and that is where the problem is.