Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Hi guys!

I have seen several members slagging off other members....childish behaviour and should not be allowed....what happened to forum rules stopping this?

If you can't comment without slagging someone else off....then don't comment at all...

I don't need to mention names....quite obvious...

Get a grip guys!

bookie32

20 minutes ago, helpdesk98 said:

hopefully classic shell lives on for a long time I have tried using the W10 start menu and I just can't do it. in fact I have trouble using xp/vista/7 style start menus now!

Which flavor of Classic Shell's Start Menu are you using?

--JorgeA

I think Classic Shell as an application won't break as long as other Win32 apps work because it is all Ivo Beltchev's code. It is a proper Win32 app, and it doesn't rely on any Microsoft Start Menu or Explorer code. But of course it does use tons of Windows APIs and Win32 controls and functions like all the other Win32 apps use, some of them are undocumented functions but most of them are proper APIs.

What does repeatedly break is the integration of the Classic Shell Start Menu with Explorer in nearly every new Insider build of Windows 10. The menu EXE has to inject a DLL into Explorer to hook the Win key etc. But once that is fixed by Ivo for stable builds of Windows 10, it starts working again. Unless Microsoft starts removing the APIs intentionally to hurt Win32 apps like Classic Shell, but then many other apps will break, it will be like Vista where compatibility of many programs broke and everyone was p***ed off.

If they have malicious intent, they can break anything really - like the shortcut creation system of the Explorer shell that's there since Windows 95. Or they can completely disallow DLL injection as a "security improvement". They can eliminate shell extensions citing low use. But Classic Start Menu can still be made to work as a standalone desktop app without hooking into Explorer.exe although to hook the Win key for example, some new tricks will have to be used.

I don't think Microsoft break anything on purpose. They are just careless, they have very low standards, they are arrogant, visionless and they think everything they do is right, and cannot see the mess they made. I think they don't care at all about Win32 or desktop apps except for maintaining it. All their focus is on UWP-ing Windows and breaking or removing anything that stands in its way. Probably they do hate Classic Shell to some extent so they might be abusing their compatibility mechanism to flag the installer as incompatible. Or they might be making changes to Explorer.exe constantly and see that Classic Shell begins to crash it after they do that so they flag it as incompatible until Ivo updates it again. It's a cat-and-mouse game.

On martes, 07 de junio de 2016 at 1:25 AM, Formfiller said:

Thanks Formiller. respect-048.gif

Some epic comments:

I am 71 years old. I have worked in IT since 1976. I am regarded by my friends as an "IT Guru". Since August 2015, I have had to perform 51 "rollbacks" from Win 10 to Win 7.
Also, I have:
- Installed "Never10", and other software, on another 63 PCs/Laptops to stop the Microsoft Behemoth.
- Stopped Windows auto update and disabled 31 "security" updates specifically designed to "sneak" Win 10 onto said machines.

EULAs may be used as a defence BUT, if forced upgrades cost lives, cost business losses, cost bankruptcy, etc., then Nadella and Microsoft MUST be held to account.
No amount of weaselly Lawyer talk should be allowed to interfere with class action compensation !!

it's like someone changing your underwear while you sleep!

Been repairing computers professionally since before DOS. This is a horrendous mess for me and my customers. Call Win10 what it is... Malware! Help... E.F.F. ..... S.O.S. Help !!!

Windows is now officially malware

As a software developer with previous experience working at MSFT, I firmly believe that what MSFT is doing with these forced downgrades is unethical and further more I believe it to be an illegal form of electronic computer trespass, as people clearly do not want this and do not accept the terms given to them for the downgrade to windows 10, the removal of their bought and paid for software, or the incompatibility issues and lost money created from the forced upgrade.

IT technician. I would NEVER install Windows 10 in it's current state, or recommend anyone do so.

Malware is malware whether from an unknown provider or Microsoft.

Nobody has the rights to my system but me, so F.U.M.S.

I want no part of the lying, spying, datagrabbing moloch MS has become.

6 hours ago, helpdesk98 said:

Classic (Win 98 style with search bar enabled) it simple and straight to the point.

Ah, I see, thanks. Since you had excluded the start menus from XP, Vista, and 7, I was wondering which style you did like. I forgot that 98 was an option. :)

--JorgeA

5 hours ago, TELVM said:

Epic moment from AMD Computex 2016: "How many of you like Windows 10?"

[youtube]

[/youtube]

Wow, that really says something. Too bad the decision-makers at Microsoft are dumb (in the original, "don't hear" meaning of the word).

The speaker sounded a bit rattled a couple of sentences after seeing the show of hands.

BTW how did you arrange it so that the video would start at the desired time? Pretty cool.

--JorgeA

Actually Classic Shell on Windows 10 doesn't matter. This OS is broken beyond repair. The rest of the UI and features are so broken that it's hopeless. Don't waste your time running Classic Shell on Windows 10. Stay with 7 or 8.1.

4 hours ago, JorgeA said:

BTW how did you arrange it so that the video would start at the desired time? Pretty cool.

On Youtube there's a share feature that lets you share the link of the video, with the time in which it will start. It's quite handy, so people won't have to search the video for the thing you want to show them.

1 hour ago, xpclient said:

Actually Classic Shell on Windows 10 doesn't matter. This OS is broken beyond repair. The rest of the UI and features are so broken that it's hopeless. Don't waste your time running Classic Shell on Windows 10. Stay with 7 or 8.1.

This.

From people expert at repairing Windows.

And best of all it comes with a promise that they will keep breaking it more, over and over.

-Noel

1. youtube video
-------------------

right of the glance, guy is waving his hand like some sort of victory but in loser voice
then he often looks DOWN, which just indicates LOSS and/or shame
then so funny, there are "xx millions games running on windows 10" - LOL, like they wouldn't run on other NTOS-es ahahahaha

2. classic shell
----------------
i'm now talking about windows shell, it will always be there, it is just problem how can a programmer invoke win32 api to
nullify things that M$ blocked, you can easily invoke win32 shell by running memturbo 2 or adobe audicaty 1.5, sometimes even photoshop cs2 regresses back

3. stardock winblinds
-------------------------
they unfortunately follow blockage of MS because... well MS is their partner
i emailed them few years ago and well digged out few info from them :D
for example, when I asked (back in the day) why can't winblinds forcefully invoke transparency on vista like it did on XP even with blur
the answer was, that they rely on DWM and MS's limitations