Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

1 hour ago, Dibya said:

If you ever runed resoarce intensive apps like 3dMAX , MAYA, MangA Studio, AutoCad you might realized 7 is not perfect,

It is a great os for home user but not for professionals.

Out of curiosity, how many years of PROFESSIONAL work with Autocad have you and your friends (cumulatively) experienced? :unsure:

And on which OS's?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I don't think that Microsoft wants world domination, they just want more money in my opinion. The question is if they are "sharing" with (or selling to) their "telemetry" data with someone else and if yes who they are.

Here's another item to warm @Formfiller's heart:  :):angry:

Reader reports missing “Never check for updates” in Win7

My Win 7 SP1 Windows Update settings have changed, just this morning as far as I can tell, and I suspect Microsoft because I’ve not installed any new software or made any sort of changes to the system.

For years I’ve had Windows Update set to “don’t check”, but today that’s not even an option.

After turning the computer on this morning it booted as normal, but after that there was a lot of download activity for quite a while and then I got an “updates are ready to install” message in the taskbar.

I opened Windows Update and sure enough the June 2016 Windows and Office security updates were there to greet me.

Surprised, and more than a bit annoyed, I checked my update settings.

Guess what?  “Don’t check” is no longer an option.

Have they really sunk that low? After all the tricks and shenanigans I've seem them pull over the last year, I wouldn't put it past them. Still, I would like to see an actual screenshot of this.

--JorgeA

10 hours ago, PRB said:

To play devil's advocate - once those people on the other side of the table discover they can't know much about you, they may very well decide you have something to hide and go do business elsewhere.

Frankly, it seems to me we are on a very slippery slope and gaining velocity.

I tinkered with 10 for a week after its rollout last year and was horrified by the reports of its snooping, and how tricky it is to completely disable it (all hail NoelC's tenacity in this area) - I haven't booted that partition since (although I'm tempted to ocassionally, just to see what the update does to my multiboot system...).

The scenario I had in mind was one where I am the prospective customer and they're trying to sell me something. The less they know about me, the more flexibility I have.  :)

And I agree that we're on a slippery slope and gaining velocity... and not just with respect to Microsoft. Check this out:

Mark Zuckerberg says we’ll be plugged into ‘The Matrix’ within 50 YEARS

Zuck has hinted that social networks of the future will be powered by telepathy, allowing ordinary people to beam their brainwaves and emotions directly onto the internet.

Many of us might think there’s something nightmarish about a world where we’re all plugged into the matrix.

But the billionaire has made his money from persuading huge numbers of people to drop their privacy shields and share every tiny aspect of their lives with friends, strangers and advertisers on Facebook.

--JorgeA

2 hours ago, JorgeA said:

Here's another item to warm @Formfiller's heart:  :):angry:

Reader reports missing “Never check for updates” in Win7

Have they really sunk that low? After all the tricks and shenanigans I've seem them pull over the last year, I wouldn't put it past them. Still, I would like to see an actual screenshot of this.

--JorgeA

Windows 7, fully updated. Hm, what's this bottom option say?

qwwoSBW.png

Sounds like a case of writer's desperation.

14 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Out of curiosity, how many years of PROFESSIONAL work with Autocad have you and your friends (cumulatively) experienced? :unsure:

And on which OS's?

jaclaz

Few of my friend and myself once tried to learn AutoCAD.

But here few uncles who are architect engineer surely use autocad.

I cannnot say much about autocad but incase of 3DMax or Maya , Windows 7 crashed most of the time in middle of the way during large rendering.

Windows 7 has know issue that explorer.exe crashes under heavy , I donot know why? guys and gals there mS not fixed it .

Which heard actually , Autodesk softwares runs best on MACOSX but for Such  heavy apps i will go lightweight windows like 2k/xp/2k3 not to win7/8.1 as they consume double of resoarce of 2k/xp/2k3

or Lubuntu with Wine

Just now, xpclient said:

Twitter is a great place for ranting against greedy, evil corporations. :w00t:

Maybe :dubbio:, but - as you have just stated - not suitable for multi-choice polls (not that such polls would make any real sense anyway).

jaclaz

13 hours ago, JorgeA said:

... social networks of the future will be powered by telepathy, allowing ordinary people to beam their brainwaves and emotions directly onto the internet.

One has to guess that real tin-foil hats will be very much in vogue 50 years from now. :D

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Allowing to use Twitter? :dubbio:

There are workarounds for that...

WhatTwitter.png

Since I can't respond directly to Gaurav's poll, my answer to "what's the worst thing they've done to Windows" is this:

• Promised to disrupt everything several times a year by releasing a new build.

Nothing will ever progress if the OS itself remains a moving target.  Serious, state-of-the-art civilization-advancing applications take YEARS to write.  Some even decades.

These id*** companies pushing the "agile" model need to take a cue from nature.  Too much change too quickly and extinction occurs.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC